Friday 23 October 2015

Walesby circular walk

Hiya. It's been smashing wandering around the Lincolnshire Wolds with my walking buddies today. We left about 9am, and parked in Walesby, and set off about 10am. The route was given to us by our friend Graham who walks with the local Ramblers group. He said there is a fair bit of elevation in it, which is what Paul likes. There are plenty of gentle rolling hills so not too taxing on the old leg muscles. This is typical of the views, not such a clear day, some mist about, but you can still see a long way.  We followed the Viking Way to Normanby le Wold. 

At Normanby village we took a right turn along a track which took us through a wood at Normanby Dales. Look what we have found, a perfect house just ripe for renovation. Paul inspects the interior. It's well hidden among the undergrowth, a perfect hideaway, and for a few quid it could be tidied up nicely.

Ooh look an open fireplace, plenty of wood in these parts.

I think the chimney stack will need a bit of pointing up, and a few tiles needed on the roof. Mind you, you could leave it open and you have the perfect shower room. 
Nearby is the annexe, this would make a great guest room. Outside lavvy at the back. Wonder how much they want for it, ha ha.

A bit of road walking to Thoresway, then onto a bridleway to Stainton le Vale. Here we are arriving at the church for our lunch break. There was a bit of wind whipping up so we took shelter in the porch. The church wasn't open so we couldn't go inside.

Paul and Paul scoffing their pack ups. Mouths full trying to smile.

I've got a big cheese and lettuce sandwich, too much for one sitting so I save some for later. The rucksack I am using was given to me. It's really comfortable. It's slightly bigger than my usual day sack, this one is better for use in the winter as there is room for extra clothing. 
Onward we trekked, arriving at Stainton Hall. It's a big estate with cottages for the workers. The lawns were all immaculately cut. As we passed the outbuildings a group of men were gathered having a drink.


We went round the back of the Hall past the lake, and into a field. There was a notice saying bulls about, so we were on our guard. Just then one of the 4 x 4 trucks came by us and went off towards a couple of bulls which had strayed from the rest of them. He put his vehicle between us and them. The driver got out and herded them down the bank to join the others. We gave him a cheery wave of thanks.

Next was a bit of road walking, then a track to Risby. We picked up the Viking Way again and came across a deer farm. It looked like quite a big herd. Pity they are going to be killed and eaten.  

Just as we were coming into Walesby we stopped to have a look at the Ramblers Church, also known as All Saints. It stands high up overlooking the village. There are some more photo's of it on this site.

The door was not locked so we had a peep inside. It looks a bit dusty, but according to the web site they have services there and it is looked after by Friends of the Old Church formed in 1980. 
Back at the car Paul did a calculation on his mobile phone gizmo which gave a total of 11.5 miles walked. Not very far but it made a pleasant half a days walk. We were lucky with the weather, it stayed dry. Although there was no sun, there was a welcome fresh breeze to cool us down as we went up and down the hills. It's good to get out of the house in the autumn and see all the lovely warm colours.

Saturday again, hope you have a good weekend. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip

17 comments:

  1. lovely to read. some magnificent tree photos and I do love the autumn colours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You surpassed on the beautiful outdoors today! The churches are lovely and the tree by the little pond simply gorgeous. The poor deer's. :( You & your walking pals look cheerful and happy to be out and about. Thanks for letting us tag along and enjoy the views, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feet amaze me! I am glad when I can take my usual 2 mile walk in my rocker shoes without pain!
    What a lovely and happy day out you had! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet amaze me, Jan. With bunions the size of walnuts, you'd think I was crippled if you saw them. By some miracle they don't give me any pain.

      Delete
  4. From Margie in Toronto - what a lovely day you had Ilona. I too had a lovely walk today but not nearly as far as you! I met a friend for lunch and then we had a few hours before we had tickets for something and decided to walk to our transport. It was a gorgeous Fall day - cool and crisp but bright sunshine and all the trees in the city are turning to the most glorious colours so it was a perfect day for a good long walk - even if it was in the city. Probably did about 3 miles and with my wonky knee that wasn't a bad stretch. We went to see the Magna Carta which is on tour over here from Durham Cathedral - it was very interesting and I'm a history buff so it really made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three miles is very good, Margie. Sounds like you had the perfect day. I bet your Fall is miles better than ours.

      Delete
  5. Your walking trips give me motivation and encouragement to stay as active as I can now despite my arthritis. What travels I could have ahead of me in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every little helps, Sam. As long as you are doing something and not procrastinating. A short walk around the block is better than no walk.

      Delete
  6. Loved the link you provided to The Ramblers Church - the new gates recently installed with 2 crosses on the gate are brilliant.

    Glad you had a good day. I am always in a bit of a shock at how little you eat on these long walks.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy. It's usually a sandwich, maybe a boiled egg or two, a banana, a cereal bar, a handful of sultanas, or a small box of salad, a few cream crackers, and maybe a bar of choccy. I tend to nibble while I walk. I had a big pan of veggie stew to dip into when I got home.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a brilliant day. I love the old cottage, my imagination always runs wild when I stumble across old derelict cottages like that, planning how I would do them up. Your photos of the trees, especially the Weeping Willow are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyday you entertain us and this was no exception!
    Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I like to make life fun.

      Delete
  9. It's lovely to see pics like this from a different area of the country. Who needs abroad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I think, Lizzie. We have everything we need right here on our beautiful island. I would go out more often to more places, but I have the responsibility of looking after animals. I have to make arrangements for them, thankfully I have nice friends who will help out but I don't like to put on them too often. I wouldn't put the cats in a cattery, cats hate disruptions to their routines, and I wouldn't put Rocky in a kennel at his age. He was in a prison before he came to me, I couldn't do that to him. One day my time will come when I can do more travelling.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a lovely walk Ilona! gorgeous colours. I didn't know we had deer farms in the UK, how's that? I know they have them in New Zealand, but I'd never seen one here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi.Just find reading about your outings so very enjoyable and informative.Love it,thank you for the lovely photos and info,Ilona.You and your hiking buddies look happy as clamsThe old abandoned stone house and area remind me very much of our former farm house and surroundings..Before we restored ours it had no roof,windows,dirt floors and a tree growing out of the stone wall on it's west side.It had also survived a fire.Seeing your pics brought it all back in a good way,and oddly feeling homesick,though it's been years since we let it go.It still resonates strongly within....that country life of ours.And yes,you are blessed to have good feet,ha,ha!Always inspiring,bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.