Tuesday 27 October 2015

Killing three birds with one stone.

Hello. The weather hasn't been so good today. Although it has stayed dry there was no sun. I spent the morning sewing while watching catch up TV. After a lunch of beans on toast I took Rocky for a walk around the churchyard. While I was out I noticed some litter which needed picking up so when we got back he went indoors, while I got my stick and bag, and went straight back out again to tidy up. I needed to be outside walking, a good excuse to take some photo's for the blog, and the litter needed clearing away, so three birds with one stone. If Rocky could walk further and faster I could have made it four birds with one stone and picked while he ambled along beside me. 
So, a few Autumn pics of the village. This is the old Vicarage, and that is Jim on his bike, the handyman in the village. He does a lot of lawn mowing and other jobs as well.  
Looking across the Village Green, I zoomed in on Joyce as she was passing with her poodle, Bailey. She goes out every day about 1pm for the afternoon walk. Next week she has a luncheon to go to, so I will walk Bailey on that day so she needn't rush back.

At the top of the hill I decided to go down it a short way, because that is where people chuck rubbish out of their cars. There are no houses at that point and they think they can't be seen. The pedestrians have probably bought something at the shop and by the time they have got to the top of the hill they start discarding the wrappings and empty cans in the hedgerow. We shouldn't be getting so many carrier bags being thrown away now.

I've got a full bag so I empty it into the big bin next to the pub, the council come on a Monday to clear it out.

A scout round the churchyard, especially where the kids gather at the gate and I find some sweet and biscuit wrappings. The grass is carpeted by crunchy golden leaves. This wonderful big tree is near the door of the church. 


Next it's up the High Street past the cottages, and checking the bus shelter. Nothing in there. The lady who runs the B & B. has the job of clearing it out, she gets paid a small amount once a year. 
Turning left just before the Chinese takeaway and I am dismayed by the amount of rubbish dropped on the corner. Kids hang out there and any food which doesn't get eaten is thrown on the ground with the plastic boxes, and the plastic forks are then stamped on and broken into tiny pieces. Drinks cans are also discarded. I found a smashed beer glass, probably lifted from the pub. So I pick it all up and put it in the large litter bin, which they can't be bothered to use. The contractors are still here, digging up the pavements and putting new gas pipes in. Glad they are not coming down my street, such a mess.

In front of the Medical Centre we have a communal herb garden. Anyone can take some for their cooking. Such a nice idea.

There is a snicket from the Medical Centre to the Village Green which usually has a few bits of rubbish lying around. It's the route a lot of children take coming from and going to school. There are plenty of fallen leaves here. A big difference to when we have the Summer Fair in June and everything is lush and green. 

It's a popular place for dog walkers as well. There are bins to put dog poo in here, and thankfully most people use them.

Ah well, I've eaten my dinner, a second portion of yet another veggie stew. I had two thirds of a swede in the fridge which needed using up, so it got chopped up and put in the big pan, along with an onion and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. I also added wholemeal pasta to bulk it up. Just the thing to come home to in the dark evenings. Time to take Rocky out, so I'll sign off.

Catch you soon. Thanks for popping in. toodle pip

28 comments:

  1. What a lovely village you live in!
    How wonderful that you clean up litter around your village. We have a gentleman that does it around our neighbourhood. He says cig butts are a big problem. Half of what he picks up are butts. Terrible!
    Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful village, it makes me quite envious. Although I live in a lovely house in the countryside, I think it would be nice to live in a village with other people around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you so much for being part of the solution to littering! Generous to help keep this lovely place looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good of you to take care of Rocky!
    Also to clean up your village.
    It looks lovely in the photos.
    The cemetery is beautiful, some of the stones listing I see.
    The old ones seem to totter like old folks sometimes.
    I love old cemeteries, they are very peaceful spots.
    I pick up litter here in town, there always seem to be more cropping up.
    I think the younger ones are the worst here near the parks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly Ilona this was all sublime to see and read. It was lovely to scroll down through the pics and read your description for each one.
    The autumn leaves are so beautiful and your litter picking must make such a difference to your village.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You live in a lovely area Miss I. I could use a couple life times in such a village. :) Really enjoy your pic's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all the lovely comments here. You are such a good person and an asset to the community. Would there were many more like you. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely village! And how very nice of you to pick the litter and help keep it looking so lovely. Such a shame there are people who toss their litter all over the place with little regard as to keeping the place tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos. I really cannot understand the mentality of people who would want to spoil such a beautiful place by littering. I would like to understand the psychology of people who litter and then perhaps I'd feel a little more tolerant and less like giving them a good kicking. I clean up in my neighbourhood and feel the majority of litter is left by young people as most of it is stuff they eat. I don't see many older people drinking fizzy pop. Most of the time people are yards from a litter bin but see fit to drop crisp packets, take away containers, pop bottles etc wherever they've finished them. You don't see other countries with litter to the extent we have in the uk. Maybe its because we are too tolerant Kristel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been litter picking this week again too. Love that word snicket- they're called twittens round here. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely village! It's pictured beautifully with the Autumn colours. How thoughtful of you to pick up the litter and I think the herb garden idea is brilliant. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are fines for littering here. But we still have it. I saw some lovely homes and buildings ...so enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recognise that pub!! You are indeed fortunate to live in such a nice village

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are fortunate to live in such a picturesque village. And the village are fortunate to have someone like you who cares so much about it. Rubbish especially plastic is horrid.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to share a walk round your village - thank you. The trees look brilliant this autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your fall photos today. I have cloth grocery bags to keep from using so much plastic, then I recycle any I do get from the store. I hate seeing them in the weeds along the road.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the herbs. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW. Ok, completely envious and jealous now after seeing the pics of your gorgeous village. No wonder you wanted to retire and putter around that beautiful place - who wouldn't? Sent from my home in the dry, arid American southwest. And can I also say thank you for keeping the anonymous choice and not having a declaration at the top of the page that says you use cookies to stalk your readers and you must join some sight in order to leave a comment. As always you're one of a kind and I totally enjoy your blog everyday. Desert Rat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Agree with others - lovely village! I wonder where it is. We live at the bottom of a hill with no other houses as you go up for several miles. Litter is thrown on both sides - who goes up to throw it? Car drivers, horse riders, cyclists, walkers. Judging from what gets chucked I would imagine all these groups are guilty. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely town you live in. So good of you to clean up. It is a shame that some folks are too lazy to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post. Very English, very autumnal and very decent of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos. I really cannot understand the mentality of people who would want to spoil such a beautiful place by littering. I would like to understand the psychology of people who litter and then perhaps I'd feel a little more tolerant and less like giving them a good kicking. I clean up in my neighbourhood and feel the majority of litter is left by young people as most of it is stuff they eat. I don't see many older people drinking fizzy pop. Most of the time people are yards from a litter bin but see fit to drop crisp packets, take away containers, pop bottles etc wherever they've finished them. You don't see other countries with litter to the extent we have in the uk. Maybe its because we are too tolerant Kristel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello.Snickets and twittens...oh my! Your charming,beautiful village and home is a retiree's dream for some and so well deserved....am happy to know that your unique ways and generous kind personality are being rewarded in this life.Your litter clean-up is just another way to give back and spread the love when it is sorely needed in these times.I carry an extra bag and do the same when walking and sometimes get some very strange looks. I'm always learning new colloquialisms from your writings and love it.Thank you for the lovely photos and sharing,D.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello from Detroit! Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful village. It looks like heaven on earth. I love to read about your walks and rambles too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You live in a beautiful village. The autumn leaves are so pretty.

    I really love the idea of a communal herb garden.

    Good for you for picking up the litter! I do not see much regular litter (thankfully) but I often find dog poo in my mom's backyard even though dogs are supposed to be on leashes in her area.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a pretty village to live in! The autumnal colours are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad that it's not only me that is offended by the litter. I do the same as you when I walk round my local park and village walking my dog Spencer. I have a bag and a picker, which used to belong to my mother. I shove it all in the bag and then into the bin. I wish I could catch these people at it. Yesterday morning the park was full of broken glass. All over the path and the grass. So dangerous for dogs. An elderly man with his Labrador tried to help in clearing it. Some kid will get cut as well as they play football there. It's impossible to re-educate these losers who do it. this morning I found a tin can with Energy DRink written on it. How ironic that they don't have the energy to put the rubbish in the bin.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.