Friday 12 July 2024

Off on another mini break

Wednesday morning I set off for North Yorkshire. Using the Humber Bridge is the quickest way to get up there. The other alternative is to drive the long way round, through Thorne, Goole, cross over the river, and Howden. Miles further and takes longer. 
So, I have my debit card ready at the toll booths. I would rather hand over the £1.50 but they don't want cash. I see they have changed their card reader gadget. The old one hangs on a bracket just under the window of the booth. The new one is a superdooper digital one with a touch screen thing. I cant do the waft my card over it. I have to insert it and key in my four secret numbers. I said to the lady hanging out of the window, hold onto it. She has it on a lead. I stab the numbers and press green. I don't think she was expecting me to press it so hard. She said, do it again because it hasn't registered. She leaned out of her window a bit further and rested the reader on the edge of my car. It worked the second time. I did this twice, once crossing northbound and once crossing southbound. What a faff. 
It was getting towards lunchtime and I remembered I would be passing a chip shop at Wetwang. This is a popular place. Whenever I go by they are always busy. Good opportunity to call in and get some chips and peas. 
From there I carried on to Norton and Malton. I haven't had an explore of Malton before. I remembered a good place to park at Old Malton next to a church. Unfortunately there was a funeral going on and the car park with all the streets around it were chocca with cars. Oh well, maybe another time, carry on. 
Then I came to Pickering, a place I am familiar with. I thought I may have a mooch around here. Maybe go on a steam train ride. Finding a place to park was difficult. I don't mind paying to go in a car park, if I can have a long time for not much money, and I can pay cash. If I go walkabout I don't want to be forever clock watching, it spoils the enjoyment thinking I have to get back. The town was busy so I gave up and carried on. 
So where to next? Thornton le Dale is just a few miles further on and not so big. I checked out the car park. Nope, costs too much and I don't know how long I am going to be here. Luckily I came across a short quiet road. Dog Kennel Lane is where you want to be heading for if you are visiting. No restrictions. 
Here are a few pics. The Hall is a Care Home. Lovely old building.  

Gorgeous chocolate box cottages. this one has a babbling stream running along the front of it. I think the person living here knows that this thatched cottage is going to draw the attention of photographers. The garden looks lovely. 
It's nice to see how people make an effort to decorate their property with greenery.

I was hiding in the bushes on the village green to get this shot of the tea room. 

The church stands high on a hill on the main road. The sign outside said church open until 4pm. It was ten past four and the door wasn't locked, so I took a peek inside. Then a man came to lock up. He allowed me to take my time, said he wasn't in a hurry. 
As there were no restrictions on my parking I went for a walk. I followed a road, then a footpath heading towards Ellerburn. The path was alongside this stream. The water was rushing by. Almost at the village I noticed someone was behind me walking a dog. I stopped thinking I might be holding them up. We exchanged hello's and got chatting. If you chat to local people you can find out a lot about the area. It turned out she was very much tuned into the single life, having never been married herself. What a bonus that was to meet a like minded soul. We parted company at the church gate. 
Now this is a novel way to keep the churchyard tidy. Don't bother with mowers, just borrow some sheep. Brilliant. The boundaries were fenced off so they couldn't escape. 
And the church was open. A quaint and simple church. 

Back to the car. Where to next? I was thinking I might go to Dalby Forest, but after a walk through a wood, it was very dark and gloomy, I changed my mind. Maybe the seaside would be better. 
Catch ya later for the next episode. 
Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published after my approval.