Sunday 31 January 2016

Colourful artworks by Andi Dakin

Hello. Let's add a bit of colour on this drab miserable day. After my walk with Jo, I called in at The Ropewalk in Barton, to see if there was anything interesting going on. I found an exhibition of pictures and sculptures called Space Urchins, Dark Matter and Positive Energies, by Andi Dakin. The spikey spheres appear to be balancing on top of each other, I can see no other means of support. I'm not sure what they are made off, and I didn't dare to touch them to find out for fear of them all collapsing. I suspect they are some kind of ceramics, if they were rubber they would bend. 
How does he do that? There are no visible joins between them, no wire frame for support.

These sculptures under glass look like thimbles stuck onto rubber balls. Love the creativity of his ideas.


Single spikes attached to a clear perspex ball. 

How these are able to remain standing up against the wall, I couldn't work it out.





A few small sculptures were on display in a cabinet in the shop. Can't remember the exact price, around £25 each. My apologies for the hazy pictures, I discovered that my camera lens needed cleaning after the battering from the wind.

I've had a look for Andi's web site but I can't find one. Here is a bit about him with some of his paintings, on the Kingston Art Group web site.

Lunch today was pasta. I made extra portions yesterday, and warmed some through in oil in a small pan. Added garlic powder and some powdered veg stock, some grated cheese, and scrambled two eggs into it. Served with two tomatoes. Very nice it was.

Here's a money saving tip for you. If you have a small to medium size dog, don't buy proper dog poo bags. Buy a pack of Tesco nappy bags, you get 300 for 35p, yes, only 35p Other supermarkets probably have something similar, but I'm not sure of the price. They are not much good for bigger dog poo's though. And don't forget, another tip, Poundland is not always the cheapest, shop around.



I think it's stopped raining, maybe a good time to go out. Thanks for popping in. Catch ya soon.
Toodle pip

20 comments:

  1. We use the nappy sacks for scooping the cat litter trays here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos of Andi Dakin's artworks. Are the spiky bits golf tees?

    I did enjoy seeing you on TV too! Pity they didn't show more of your art, and also the summerhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. They looked like golf tees, but a bit longer.

      Delete
  3. telford council provide free dog bags available from libraies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ilona, just checking in with my walking mileage. 130 miles walked by me in January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking mileage for January whilst I remember 140.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I am a bit late checking in with my mileage Ilona. I am at 92 miles for January.
    We are lucky to have a neighborhood association that provides free doggie poo bags at each trash can, but I stick a plastic grocery bag in my pocket just in case they are out.
    Love the happy colors in the sculptures. Really neat.
    Lisa in Miami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bright artwork. As I've said before here, pound shops are not always good value - some of their stuff is not worth a pound. However, they do have surprising offers on at various times - had some of the best cooking dates ever over Christmas time. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning. I will check my mileage today and give you an update. I don't normally like modern art but absolutely love all those. Have you seen the work of Andy Goldsworthy. He was such an inspiration for me when I did 'natural art' as sessions in my previous job. I had great fun out in the woods for hours on end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Yes, I like Andy Goldsworthy, have seen his work at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

      Delete
  9. They use to provide free doggy dodo bags here in Hull but council cut backs soon stoped that. I now wait for my Auntie to visit from Scotland once a year to get my yearly supply of free ones! If I run out then I'll buy Morrisons 100 for 12p Heather W

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sixties and colorful! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting art Ilona but wanted to tell you - you have inspired me to use up those frozen veggies after Christmas dinner and made a veggie stew with lots of spices. It looked like baby food but it tasted delicious and enough for me for the next few days (lunches). Very filling and warming. Frugal February in our house. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news Debbie. Veggie stew is cheap and tasty. Shut your eyes when you eat it, ha ha. Zap it with a blender and make soup. Chunk of bread with it makes a warming lunch.

      Delete
  12. 121 miles so far, admittedly some done on the exercise bike, the wind's been too strong here for the last few days to risk 'proper' cycling!


    ReplyDelete
  13. I walked 125 miles in January! I am really amazed how my rather infrequent walks add up.
    Love the colourful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilde, Keep at it, you're doing really well. Yes, it is amazing how all the short walks add up to a big one. A bit like saving pennies to make pounds.

      Delete
  14. Hi.We have a glorious sunny mild winter day here and we are almost being fooled into thinking it is spring.Very interesting art exhibit,and I appreciate you sharing it.It's so precise and colourful and unique.As you,I only buy doggie doo bags if I'm out of the saved plastic food item bags.Those diaper bags you found are such a good buy.( if and when it's necessary to buy them)I agree with many here that dollar stores do not necessarily have the best value for quantity and quality.Also prices are always increasing in increments.We eat and enjoy some very simple meals here too and vegetable soup is a favourite,not pretty but very tasty.:-)D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To save money and encourage reuse: save cardboard food boxes (such as from cereal) and the plastic bags inside (crisps bags work well too) to use for scooping the cat box. I scoop my cat box daily and since it's only one cat, what I clean out fits within a cracker box, for example. I immediately put it in the bin outside so there's no worry about the box degrading and making a mess somewhere you don't want it to.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.