Thursday 21 January 2016

Jackpot winner

Hello blogging buddies. I've only gone and done it again. The fridge was bare yesterday, now it's full. I wait until I actually need food before I do the yellow sticker run. I have a few staples in the cupboard, tins and packets, but much prefer to eat fresh if I can. Rocky loves it when I arrive back, he wants to know if there is anything for him.

I went at 7.15 pm, it's ten minutes to my favourite Tesco store. When I arrive I go straight to the chiller cabinet, not much in there, then onto the fruit and veg. The reduced had been taken into the back for the final pricing up. I knew that because there were a few people hovering in anticipation. Someone said it had been gone for a long time and was hopeful that it would emerge quite soon. I took a chance and whizzed up to the bread department and got a couple of loaves and some scones. 

The fruit and veg was wheeled out, it was a bit of a tussle, but no nastiness because there was plenty, and not everyone has the same tastes, they want different things. It's best to get in a bit quick though, but after people had drifted away there was still some more for the pickings. Thank you Tesco for letting us have the food and not throwing it away.  


I paid £6.12 for the reduced items, normal price would have been £49.86. 



Total shop was £21.24. Here are the rest of the items I bought at normal prices. Please excuse fuzzy picture, I am not taking it again, ha ha. The vegetable item at the top is a pack of six Value vegetable grills for the freezer. The cooked meats are treats for the kids. I have butter on there, I have to limit myself to this as I would scoff the lot too quickly. One pack every three months is enough. The Quorn mince is on special offer, I wouldn't buy it at normal price. The cat food is dry Iams for seniors, for Bugsy.


It's been a busy morning.Sarah, the journalist came from the Yorkshire Post and was scribbling in her notepad like crazy. Looked like a load of squiggles to me. Then the photographer came and must have taken about a hundred shots. The article is planned for publication on Monday, and will probably be online. The first article written seven years ago is still there, will be interesting to see the difference.

Anyway, can't hang around here, dog needs a little bimble, then it's off to the vet with Heidi cat. My walk will have to wait until tonight. Only did one mile yesterday, didn't have time for more.
Thanks for popping in. Catch up soon.
Toodle pip

PS. Oh dear, I forgot to put the link to the old article from seven years ago, I was in a rush..
It's here.

27 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well at the vet today and great job on the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, you, on a very satisfactory shop! Where do we see the article online?
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ilona, I have been sent 10 x £2 off Iams cat or dog food coupons which I won't use, would you make use of them? Please let me know I will happily post them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some brilliant purchases there :-)

    I started to boycott Iams pet food last year after someone that commented on my blog sent me links to the research methods that they had used on the animals when testing all their various varieties. I asked at the vets if they knew of this and they did and said they also are very anti-Iams :-( Suky used to love the type she had, but no more enters our house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best for my pets.

      Delete
    2. I know you do Ilona, but when I read what the cats and dogs went through in the tests and that they were all destroyed afterwards I was horrified. I will never stop passing on what I found out :-(

      Delete
  5. Wow, what great value. Love the home made bags too. I read a comment about them before but now see them in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you got fantastic bargains and know just where and when to find them. Your blue bags are so cute, I like the Home Made Bag and the Love Free Stuff bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you did well, they never mark things down that low here, ever!!
    good luck at the vet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just what I was thinking, we are lucky if things are marked half price, usually things are just reduced by 10% to (at the most) 20%.

      Delete
  8. You do so well with you yellow sticker food. Please will you remind us about the article so we can look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blue shopping bags are super nice. Well done on your huge discount grocery shop. It really is amazing. Do they mark stuff down like this at all grocery stores in the U.K?

    You do take care of your animals and best wishes to Heidi that the vet visit goes well.

    Please post a link to the article in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ilona! I can't believe what you got for that amount of money!! UGH I am so jealous! Cauliflower over here (US) is on SALE for $2.99. That's just an example of how much I spend on the items you bought. I'm so glad you can get those food items at such reduced prices. Kearnygirl (can't get into my google account for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good haul there Ilona.
    Hope little Heidi is well. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bags look amazing. Great food haul again, my old arthritic dog used to leap into action when the shopping was brought in - funny what you miss when they are gone. I will look at the new article on Monday. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done some super bargains. Can you give any tips on the salad stuff and other things you can't freeze? I can make curries and veg casseroles to freeze with the vegetables but find that when salad stuff is reduced it doesn't keep long enough even though I try to use it first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I occasionally make a lettuce soup - 1 potato 1 onion softened in oil on a medium heat, 1 head lettuce shredded and veg stock from a cube simmer 5 mins then liquidise . It's really nice and can be frozen if you don't need it immediately.

      Delete
  14. I know you will, but be sure to let us know how you got on at the vets with your cat. I know we are all routing for you and the cat. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't realise they did three lots of markdowns. Asda near me tend to do one and its still cheaper to buy it in aldi than at asda with the markdown.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live in Aberdeen and our local Tesco NEVER reduce anything as cheap as you seem to get it.Even when the items are going out of date that day you hardly get a decent reduction.I think they would rather throw the stuff out than give customers a real bargain.it infuriates me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live in Aberdeen and our local Tesco NEVER reduce items as cheaply as you get them.Even if they are going out of date that day the reduction is very small.I think they would rather throw the stuff out than give customers a good bargain.it infuriates me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Instead of quorn mince I've started getting the dried version from Holland & Barratt. It's about a third cheaper than quorn. Just need to put in in hot water with a stock cube and a bit of oil before you use it

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.