Friday 22 January 2016

Walking with Jo Brand on her 'Hell of a Walk'

Hello, get a butchers of this then. Me and Jo, good eh! I've had a brilliant day. Up early and out of the house by 8am, I arrived at the Waters Edge Visitors Centre at Barton on Humber, at 8.20am. I didn't know what to expect, would there be lots of people coming to see Jo Brand off on her 'Hell of a Walk', or would the windy and damp weather have put them off. My plan was to walk with her for a while, but I didn't want to get in the way of the media. Most of the people there were the media, radio, TV cameras, and newspaper journalists and photographers. I watched while they all did their work. 




It was time to set off, Jo led the way, and we followed. I decided to leave my car there because the crowds had thinned out a bit so I start walking, rather than drive over the bridge and meet them at the other side. Nobody seemed to be leading the way, and I wondered if Jo knew how to get up onto the Humber Bridge. I caught her up because she seemed to be hesitating, and pointed the way, up the road and take the first right.  The winds were very strong, blowing a gale in fact. It was very cold walking over the river. I got chatting to a man who had come over from the other side to meet up with the group. Jo was full of jollity, cracking jokes with everyone. 
An hour or so into the walk it started raining, it got heavier and heavier and hammered it down. Along the route there were groups of people waiting to meet Jo. She stopped to talk to anyone who had made the effort to turn out in the foul weather. 


As we were coming into North Ferriby we were greeted by hundreds of children all waiting patiently in the rain outside their schools on both sides of the road. A lot of them had painted their own messages to Jo on colourful signs which they held up high. It was a fantastic sight. Jo crossed over to speak to them, no doubt cracking a few jokes to make them laugh. 



Then she crossed back over to speak to the tiny tots inside their playground. 

The first pitstop was at the Duke of Cumberland pub in North Ferriby. More people were waiting to see Jo, and there was some filming to do with a group of pork pie enthusiasts. I used the comfort facilities (lavvy), and decided to sit outside at a table with a parasol and eat my sandwiches. I had only just sat down and one of the film people asked me if I would like a cup of tea. I was chuffed at such a friendly gesture, he said come inside, so I did. Look what he brought me. Fantastic eh!

The rain had eased a bit when we set off again. I decided to go a bit further, it was too early to turn round and go back, besides, I was enjoying myself. I had done a few short interviews on camera, not sure if anything will be included in the film they are making, but it was fun to do it, we shall see. I love Jo's sense of humour, she is down to earth, a lot of fun, always joking, and no airs and graces. There is nothing false about Jo, she is what you see on the tele. 
I walked with them to Melton, the next village, where I said my goodbye's and turned round and walked the route in reverse back to my car on the south side of the Humber Bridge. I've checked the miles, it was 7.5 each way, so I've done a total of 15 miles to add to my challenge walk.

If you want to follow Jo on Twitter, here is the link.
If you want to see her on the BBC Sports Relief web site, here is the link.
Or you can look at Sport Relief on Twitter, here is the link.

That's me done for tonight. I'm clocking off. Thanks for popping in. Catch up soon.
Toodle pip

29 comments:

  1. What a fantastic day, full of the kind of fun you so enjoy! Well done. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous! I love Jo Brand, so nice to read how super she is! :) XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post tonight, Ilona ! So glad that you got to meet Jo. Encouragement for her too, as you have done this walk 3 times before. Nice that you were able to do some of the walk with her . Especially as its counted towards your total of miles in the year walk. Hope you have a good night's sleep. 15 miles is still a long walk .

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done you and well done Jo. so glad you got a treat for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Ilona it sounds like you had a really good day and 15 miles is great. Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update on Jo's walking, and congratulations on doing 15 miles! I was thinking of you and other English folks today, wondering how the walking weather has been. In Arizona right now it is mid 70's and sunny...I was almost feeling guilty walking in such wonderful temps when I read the section where you mention downpours ;(. But then again this summer I will be melting into the sidewalk when it gets hotter than Hades here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. exciting day!! 15 miles, wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 15 miles, what a great achievement. You did the right thing wearing a peaked cap, poor Jo, the rain would have been landing on her forehead all day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done for the walk with Jo - great to hear how approachable and friendly she is! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a fantastic day, shame about the weather. I'm glad she's as lovely in person as she is on the tele, I've always liked her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched Jo's interview this morning and wondered if you were part of the crowd. Pleased you got to meet her, hope you managed to give her some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I spotted you in the crowd near the Humber Bridge when Jo Brand set off this morning - I was watching it live on Breakfast TV. Lovely to hear that she is as friendly, funny and approachable in real life as she appears on the telly. I hope she does really well on her 'Hell of a Walk' - and kudos to you for walking 15 miles in a downpour too. If it was anything like the rain we had here in the West Country early this morning it would've been horrible to be out and about in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like it was a very fun day (except for the weather.)

    I hope that she does well because it looks like a good cause. (Being in America, I was not familiar with Sport Relief but it looks like they raise a fantastic amount of money for charity.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great day in spite of the rain. Fifteen miles is wonderful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what fun, and a treat as well, good for you, bravo 15!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a really good day! I hope she does it too. I'm not in the least surprised about your 15miles- you put me to shame! (Scurries off to check own walking mileage total, pulls on boots and marches off for a long walk!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. the back of your head was on Look North ..lol..a brief glimpse of fame

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant! 2 inspirational women!I'm walking to Flamborough lighthouses this morning and hoping for better weather today.Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done Mrs.... And Jo. Now don't you wish you were doing the whole walk with her? Next time eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie. Yes I wish I was doing the whole walk with her, but it's her party. I will be doing more walking in 2016. Got to crack this 1000 mile challenge.

      Delete
  20. Glad you got to meet Joe and that she was the same in real life. Also well done on your 15 miles despite the dreadful weather. Glad you got a treat and nice to hear that the camera crew were thoughtful too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's great, lovely gesture with the tea and treats too. Glad you got to meet Jo, she's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic post - I could hardly believe that wind and would not have liked walking over that bridge. Is there a path across on the side of the lanes or ?

    I loved that one of the film crew called you inside to warm up a bit, have a cup of tea and food. How kind and you deserved it.

    One last thing many thanks for the links you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy. The two traffic lanes, two wide each way, are in the centre. The walk/cycle paths are on both sides on the outside edge. You can use either side whichever view you want to see. Up the river towards Goole, or down the river towards Hull. There are railings, I think it's quite safe. If the winds are too high they will close it to high sided vehicles, but I haven't heard of it being closed to pedestrians.

      Delete
  23. Hi.Such a fun and interesting day Ilona,despite the weather.Nice to see such a big turnout for her.Very kind of the crew to think of you.You did some good miles there!Thank you for sharing,D.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a lot of fun despite the rain. Something for wonderful memories. I wish Jo the very best. I know it is challenging for her. (It would be very challenging for me).

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.