Saturday 12 October 2024

Down by the river side.

Yesterday was sunny and windy, and I fancied a walk. I knew it was going to be cold so I wrapped up well. The big heavy jacket with the furry hood is back. I parked at Winteringham and walked to the boatyard where I took a left turn onto the riverbank. 
I followed this footpath to Whitton. A walk by the river sounds nice, but you can't actually see the river because of the mudbanks and reed beds. The raised path has been built as a flood defence to protect the farm land. 
I knew I was going to get buffeted by the wind, I was ready for that. Looks like a lovely summers day in the photograph. 
At this point there is a culvert underneath the raised path where the water on the fields drains away into the river when it has been raining. Across on the north bank the factories at Brough can be seen. 

There was a huge flock of geese taking a rest. They were quite some distance away so the zoom was needed. I hoped that they might take flight and I could get a photo of them in the air. 

I kept my eye on them as I was passing, but didn't detect any movements. Eventually they started  chattering and took to the air. They went up and down the river a couple of times then disappeared into the distance. Luckily I still had my camera in my hand.  
A few minutes later a second flock appeared and flew right over my head. 
I came into Whitton village and saw that the church was open. Come and have a look inside with me. 
Time was getting on, or so I thought. I forgot to put my watch on. I stopped to chat to a gentleman with a beautiful German Shepherd dog. He said it was 4.30pm. I had better get a move on. I went back a different way. That river bank walk can be a tad boring. Looking at the map, I have walked all the routes round there over the years. Mind you, I still went a bit wrong and lost the path. The church at Winteringham can be seen from a distance so I headed that way. 
Today it has been wet, dull, cold, and miserable. I did some sewing, had a nice long soak in the bath, and this afternoon went to Home Bargains to stock up on cat food. I was in the charity shop when the heavens opened and heavy rainfall turned the sky very dark. I waited in the shop until it had passed before I made a dash to the car. 
Let's see what tomorrow brings. Enjoy your Sunday. Toodle pip.   ilona 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published after my approval.