Monday 25 July 2016

Open Gardens, more pics.

Hello. And now for the rest of the photo's from yesterday. Every garden had a veg patch, from a few raised beds at a pensioners bungalow, to a large allotment size plot in a one acre garden. Every one of them were full of healthy plants yielding an abundance of  vegetables and fruit. Not one slug nibbled leaf in sight. 
There were little nooks and crannies to explore, beautiful cottage gardens, with secret half hidden sheds.


I did say to the man that he could enter this in Shed of the Year, but he said no.


Another hidden shed in the same garden.
We saw some quirky garden sculptures and ornaments.

Bee hives at the bottom of this garden, the bees seemed very busy coming and going.

Some of the houses were very large.

I like this sign, seen inside a shed.


This was stunning, a huge pot of equally huge flowers. Don't they look fabulous.

This was the last garden, and I'm sure they saved the best for last. Mind you the waterfalls and ponds were also fantastic, oh it's virtually impossible to say which one was best.



Thank you very much to the people of Winteringham for opening their gardens. We really enjoyed it. Great value, only £4 for an afternoon out. It's the first time I have done this, I shall be looking for some more Open Gardens now.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

17 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. Some people are so artistic when they plan their gardens. Their vision is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all of them. I'd love to go to one of these open days for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely afternoon you had IIona they were all beautiful, thank you for showing us. Very nice photo of you.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really beautiful. What a lovely outing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your joyous enthusiasm for other people's gardens and that you even encouraged the man to enter his shed in the contest!
    Fun to see you dressed up in a skirt and pretty in pink! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are amazing, the gardens are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing those lovely photos. We have something in our village called Secret Gardens which is held every other year to raise money for the Christmas decorations in the High Street. SueM

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to raise money, and so lovely of the householders to let people go around. Julie T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful gardens, what a joy. I especially liked the photos of the pigs, fantastic to see them happy and well looked after. Also, the bees - I was reading an article that the bee population in the UK is down by 30%, this is a worry due to it pollenating plants but also crops; this could cause a major crisis in a decade, apparently we need more bee-keepers and for people to stop killing them - I admit I find them annoying but I won't kill one. Open gardens are a brilliant idea, they allow people to gather ideas for their own plots, appreciate a lovingly cared-for garden and also raise money for a charity: winners all round. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the last lot of photos. I like these even more! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ilona,

    Thanks for the lovely open garden pics. We too have open gardens here in Bexhill and surrounding areas for the local Hospice. We have been to about 20 so far this season and all wonderful. By the way did you know your shed is featured on B&Q e-mails sent out if signed up for their discount cards for pensioners and presumably other card holders etc. It looks lovely as a header to their mail. Did they aske you permission or is it just part and parcel of being a finalist for the Shed of the Year? Take care. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. The photo belongs to Cuprinol, the sponsors of Shed of the Year, so it looks as if they have struck a deal with B & Q. Are you able to send the email to me? I don't fancy joining their club just to see it. I have been on the B & Q web site and it looks as if they are featuring the sheds on their front page.
      ilona.meanqueen@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi Ilona,

      I will try to send you the e-mail, not sure if I will be able to, I'm not so good with technology, ok with routine e-mails and attaching photos etc, but not sure if I will be able to with an advertising big company mail. I'll give it a try but if you don't get it sorry. Sue

      Delete
    3. Hi Susan. You don't need to, two other readers have emailed it to me. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. looks like you had a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, some fabulous gardens there, I would have been eyeing up all the veggie patches for inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.