Saturday 24 August 2024

Choose a book

 I was at the 20 21 Arts Centre yesterday. Mainly to see my friend Vikki who works there. But also take a gander at the latest exhibitions. The main part of the church building is now open after extensive renovations. Scaffolding is still up on the lower part outside. Looks like most of the work has been completed. The tower looks very nice. 

There is a new reading section where people are invited to sit and browse a collection of books. I wonder how many people will spend time studying these. 

Wiki's definition of the word 'queer'.

Queer is an umbrella term for people who are not heterosexual or are not cisgender. Originally meaning 'strange' or 'peculiar', queer came to be used pejoratively against LGBT people in the late 19th century. From the late 1980s, queer activists began to reclaim the word as a neutral or positive self-description.






I like this sculpture which is placed in front of the books. Bright colours are my thing. 
I had a chat with a friend who is a grandmother, a few weeks ago. We were talking about what subjects are in the school curriculum these days. I left school 60 years ago so I have not kept up with any trends and fashions in teaching. I was taken aback when she said she is in agreement with teaching the kids about gender issues. She says, her words, 'they will be ready for what is coming along in the future'.

I can't get my head around that. There is strong evidence that she is not alone in her thinking. Handing over your kids future to a lot of muddled bureaucrats does not seem the right thing to do. But what does childless me know about it. 

I am suddenly feeling like I have turned into my mum. She was in despair as I dressed up in my mini skirt, plastered my face in makeup, backcombed and lacquered my big hair, and went tottering off in my high heels, for a Saturday night out at the 76 Club. Mum, I always found my way home again, everything still intact.  

Thanks for popping in. Have a good weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona

9 comments:

  1. From what I am seeing and reading about current and potential changes to school curriculum, facts are being thrown out of the window in favour of feelings, and any pretext taken to ensure that childcare dissuaded or actively prevented from developing any independent thoughts or reasoning powers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right. Take a look at this video. It's a school board meeting discussing this very subject. It's only been out five days, and already has 22,000+ comments. People feel very strongly about it.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKnm2-ujss8

      Delete
  2. That's better. A bit of tidying up before bed time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see people being open about this . I was bullied and tormented verbally and physically at school. I would like to think that young transgender people no longer have to suffer this cruelty .
    About time people were more understanding and accepting of the fact that some people are born different. Your comment about “ muddled bureaucrats “
    tells me you’re not a very tolerant person about this . We exist , we are here , we have always been here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good is this Library !
    Thank you for posting this
    You must have you heard of the
    “ Trans youth you are loved” campaign ?
    We see you, we hear you we support you ,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, I didn’t quite finish my post .
    In regard to the
    “trans youth we love you “ campaign .
    Thank you for posting about this amazing Library.
    We see you , we hear you , we support you and we celebrate you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a library. It's a collection of books about one particular subject. It's part of an exhibition and will be gone in a month or two.

      Delete
  6. Library , Art centre or public building , what ever it is ? It’s wonderful to encourage people to learn about the LGBT community.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.