Saturday 3 August 2024

Volunteering

Good morning. It was far too hot yesterday to go out of the village and do a 'boots on' walk across the fields. I did it the day before and nearly gave up. I was jiggered by the time I eventually got back home. 
I like to get out of the house at least once a day, so any excuse to lock up and leave it behind, even for a short time, refreshes my soul. I like to think I have made an effort and done something worthwhile. 
So yesterday I did a litter pick. I have the stick and the carrier bag, and I know there will be one or two people about that I can pass the time of day with. 
A new fancy pink bin appeared a week ago on the corner of the High Street. outside the Parish Office. Investigation is needed I thought, what's it all about. One bin to deposit litter, and a cupboard with equipment inside to help anyone to wishes to volunteer to do the job. 
Yellow vests, gloves, red sacks, plastic hoops to assist the carrying of the sacks, and three litter picking sticks. All very organised. 

Several people have said on the village page that it is a good idea. I am trying to be more optimistic about the idea that people will help themselves to the equipment, do the job, and put it all back again. I am not so sure that will happen. 
There isn't a lot of litter in the village itself. I can go around it and maybe fill a supermarket plastic bag for life and empty it in a bin. There isn't enough to fill a plastic sack, and if it does become full it will become too heavy to carry, even with a plastic hoop around the top. I don't need gloves or a yellow vest. The council have to be seen following Health and Safety rules I suppose. If anyone wants to seriously do any litter picking they will have to walk out of the village and check the surrounding grass verges. 
The pink bin has been there about a week. Let's see if it is used, and check whether the equipment is still there. 
I did manage to get a proper walk in last night, at 8.30pm when it had cooled down a bit. It was just the right temperature with a light breeze. Ideal conditions. 
Have a good weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona 

4 comments:

  1. Good initiative - it at least makes people think about doing it. Perhaps it would be better if you had to approach the council and get a key (one of several) on long loan - I’d imagine it will only be a handful of people who litter pick. I just take a carrier bag out with me when I walk the dog, and always stop to pick up glass bottles in the road when I’m cycling - put them in my pannier bag til I get home. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heather. Yes, it's easy to pick litter up if you are community minded. I don't think people will start if they haven't done it before, even with all the equipment provided. There is hardly any litter within the village, except empty cans and chocolate wrappers tossed on the ground, sometimes right next to a litter bin. Most of the litter is on grass verges on the outskirts, where people have thrown it out of moving cars. I will keep my eye on the pink bin and see if anyone is using it.

      Delete
  2. I think it’s a good idea in principle and in a smaller area there might be a few community spirited people around who would get involved. I can’t see this working in cities - the equipment would either get nicked or trashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello tbg. I would like to think it will be used and we will be litter free. No, I don't think it would work in a city or a town.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.