Monday 5 August 2024

Memories from yesterdays walk.

Good morning. Here are a few pics from yesterday. I did a five mile walk. 
It took ages because I stopped to talk to a lovely couple in their front garden. The lady loves a natter. He was watering the flower beds. And they have a little terrier who comes to the fence to say hello. She whispered to me that they are getting married. It's a secret because they haven't told anyone else. The big day is . . . . today. What is remarkable is that they are both 80, and they have been together 22 years. I was gobsmacked. How good is that. 
Walking on this path alongside a wood I saw a figure in the distance. Always alert as to what is going on around me, I noticed it was coming towards me. My camera has a pretty good zoom so I quickly got it out of my pouch attached to a waistband. Snap, gotcha. A precaution just in case things go wrong. They didn't. He was just a dog walker enjoying the sun with his dog. 
This deer was quite some distance away. There were two of them, they meandered their way towards the river. 

The fields are looking golden brown now. Mr tractor driver lining up his bales to load the trailer. 
Carefully does it. Must load perfectly straight so it doesn't topple off during transit. 
The path crosses an old railway line. I think they stopped using it ages ago. I often thought there must be a lot of scrap metal lying around which could be reclaimed. Well it looks like they are getting on with the job. I walked along the track in both directions and came across the machinery they are using to do the work. Sunday afternoon and nobody is about. Best time to explore. 

This section ready to be dismantled. First cut the track into suitable lengths. 
This reminds me of a job I did while employed at Leicester Heavy Haulage. I picked up a load of railway tracks, with sleepers still attached, from an old railway line in Leicestershire. The 40 foot trailer is stretched out to 60 feet. They are loaded five high. Easy enough to chain down. There was no means to weigh this once loaded for transport on the road. The crane has a weighing mechanism in the cab. Each piece can be weighed as it is lifted into place. Multiply that by five, plus the weight of the trailer and cab, and that will give an estimate of the gross weight. The men loading it said it will be fine. My tractor unit was plated for 38 tonnes gross weight. On special types with a police movement order that could be increased to 55 tonnes. This load did not have a movement order. I delivered it to Wareham in Dorset, The old lorry was struggling to pull the weight. When it eventually did go onto a weighbridge it was found to be 47 tonnes. Ooooops. The following loads on that job were then reduced to three high. 
Anyway, time is getting on. I have things to do. I will slot this video in here. If you have seen it on my channel yesterday you can give it a miss.

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published after my approval.