Tuesday 20 August 2024

Steam train at Bolton Abbey

Leaving Otley on the Saturday afternoon I headed for Bolton Abbey. I remembered there are some free parking spaces there. It is too early to go to Skipton so I thought I would make a stop and have a bite to eat and a walk. Luckily I was able to park free. There are six spaces only, close to the River Wharfe near the junction with the A59 main road. I have a couple of hours to kill so I went for a walk. 
I found my way along a track and through an underpass to the railway station. 
No one about. The cafe and toilets were open so I was able to wander around.




Inside the cafe there are numerous lamps on display, and lots of railway memorabilia.
 
There was a coach in the car park. I had a few words with the driver who was sat reading a book. He said he was waiting for his passengers to come back from a train trip. I asked him what time they were due in. About 8.30pm he replied. That was an hour away, too long for me to wait for it. I carried on walking. Got my pics so I will have to be content with that. 
Then I had an idea. I extended the walk a little bit further to kill some time. Then drove back to the station hoping that I hadn't missed the train. Nope, the coach was still there, now parked in a position near the gate so his passengers could easily get on. 
I waited ten minutes, the train arrived at 8.45pm. I could hear it toot toot, then it appeared. This always reminds me of the film, The Railway Children, and the way Jenny Agutter runs towards the carriages calling 'Daddy my Daddy'. 
The train now arriving at platform one is the 8.45 Murder Mystery Special from Embsay. 



What a beauty. The passengers were slow to get off. They must have had a comfortable journey. 
Just checking. Do we need to top up the water? 

Looking very cosy inside the carriages.

Time for me to go. It was a 15 minute drive to my park up at Skipton Auction Mart. I arrived just after 9pm, and found the exact same spot where I parked last year. 
I was up at 7am, mug of coffee. The show opens at 10 am, time for a walkabout. I think I may have video'd something similar last year. This one stops rather abruptly, I may have messed with some camera settings. It's long enough anyway. 
The next video will be another walk, after breakfast, and some photo's of the Art in the Pen event. 
See ya later. Toodle pip. 

2 comments:

  1. I love steam locos. I grew up near a railway line and my earliest memories are of the sound and smell of steam. I have been in the cabs of both The Flying Scotsman and the Union of South Africa locos, it was unbelievably hot but a fantastic experience! Thanks for sharing the photos Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debi from Leicester.I can remember you going here before.....cant believe its a year gone by!!.The days go by so fast!.Skipton is a lovely place.Although I have only been once a few years back with my Daughter on a coach trip,we went to the market there.Also had a look around the local shops and had a pint in a lovely little pub at the top of the main street.Very nice and friendly people.Im looking forward to seeing what you bought there.The steam train looks great as well.I love how you can get to see so many wonderful things in a day!.xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.