Friday 9 August 2024

Roll out the barrels.

Right then, let's get this post out there. What was I doing in Burton upon Trent? Looking for painted beer barrels. First get a leaflet with a map. The barrels are dotted all over Burton. A leaflet can be picked up any time, they are under the canopy at the Brewhouse, which is situated in Sainsbury's car park. I must say I did think the area surrounding this building was a bit scruffy. Could do with a few weeds pulling up. The green wheelie bin spoils the look of the place. 
Colourful mural on the wall. Very eye catching. 
The place was closing when I got there, but they allowed me a quick look inside before they shut the door. A couple of paintings which jumped out at me. 


Now let's go on the hunt for barrels. I left the car in the Leisure Centre Car Park. £3 for three hours. 
In Station Street. Pedestrian area. 

New Street, near the bus stops. 

In one of the main car parks. 

At the Brewhouse.

Outside the Railway Station. 
Outside the Town Hall. 

In the Market Place.

Near the Tech College.
At the back of the Market Place near the river. 

Opposite Stapenhill Cemetery. 

Another pic of the other side. 

Near Stapenhill Church.
With the church in the background. 

Near the Ferry Bridge. 

More detail on the other side. 

Now look at the contrast. All very well to tart up the town with brand new painted barrels, when a lot of the old brewery buildings are left to crumble. Talk about papering over the cracks. These barrels were a fountain with cascading water. Some of the buildings in Station Street and High street are in need of a tidy up. They build new, but leave the old ones to rot. Pretty much the same in most towns I think.   

Picture from 2019. 
Anyway, I'll leave it there for now. The painted barrels are there until September if you want to go and find them. 
Thanks for popping in. More pics and videos to come. Toodle pip.   ilona

6 comments:

  1. The horse painting is extraordinary I want to borrow that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead.Dripping paint makes a dramatic picture.

      Delete
  2. I love the one opposite Staphenhill cemetary. Such talented painters. Lexington Ky had acrylic horses painted as such years ago and Louisville had pigs one year. Toodle pip all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember looking for the painted imps at Lincoln.

      Delete
  3. A little different to the work my grandpa would have painted...he was an apprentice sign writer there 120 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire anyone that can produce a work of art with paint and a brush. Skills we must keep going.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.