Tuesday 6 August 2024

Thank you David

 

David Stevenson was my boss in the late seventies. He owned the bus company, Stevenson's Travel. He took it over from his father, George. I had a little moan one day, because I was working such long hours I had no time to spend the money I was earning. An accumulation had built up in my bank account and I was not happy with that. I never wanted any long term savings. I couldn't see the point of having money lying around. 

I was living in rented accommodation. Bedsits, flats, and houseshares, in Blackpool, Birmingham, and Burton. That suited me at the time because I liked to upsticks and move on whenever I felt like it. Easy to give notice and go and live  elsewhere.   

David advised me to put my money into property, buy a house. I wasn't too keen on that. Would it tie me down too much? Would I be stuck in a place I didn't want to be? How easy is it to buy and sell houses? I don't like the idea of being trapped. 

After some thought I realised that I had enough money to put down as a deposit on a small terraced cottage on the outskirts of the town. I decided to go ahead. It wanted a lot of work doing. Wet rot, dry rot, new concrete floors, new roof. Oh my what have I done. I lived in a building site for a while. Every penny I had went into that house. I was skint for a long time. 

I carried on working, lorry driving and bus driving. Wages came in and went straight back out again on the house renovations. There was none left over for holidays and nights out. Eventually the terraced cottage was done and money started accumulating once again in my bank account. Now I was starting to see the benefits of owning a house, even though the mortgage company still owned most of it, and the interest rates were so high. 

I found a bigger house, a 3 bed semi, and all the money I got from selling went as a deposit for the new one. Back to square one, working all hours and skint again. 

My driving work took me all over the country. I had jobs where I went to work on a Monday and came back on a Friday. It gave me the freedom I so craved. Yes, I had a job to do, but I was mostly left alone to get on with it. 

And so another house change to where I am now. This one was all ready to move into so no renovation work needed. 

The reason for my story is to thank David Stevenson for his sound advice. Whether he is still around or not I don't know. The bus company has been swallowed up and sold on. I still have a fondness for those Stevenson's Rockets as we used to call them.  

It all turned out right in the end. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

2 comments:

  1. Good advice from your old boss, and well heeded by you. I’m sure a lot of people will say the same thing as me, which is I feel really sorry for those trapped renting today. Many I speak to say mortgage repayments would be less, but they can’t pay rent and save for a deposit. Rental costs round my way - in the South East - are insane. And if they live with their parents, the temptation is to go out and spend money on experiences as otherwise it’s a bit depressing. There’s also so many more ways to “leak” money these days: electronic tech upgrades, takeaway coffees, lunchtime meal deals, nails, online shopping and car leasing have all been normalised. I’m honestly glad I’m not young! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Ilona you secured yourself a nice property with a lovley garden from all your hard work and efforts.yes that person gave you good advice to buy.rents are so high now it's crazy.two young nurses I know are paying three hundred pounds per week to rent a tiny two bed house no garden near where I live.They can't save because of this.x

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.