Sunday 3 May 2009

Car booting

Selling my tat at a car boot sale seems to have become an annual event for me, and each time I do it I remember why I don't set up a stall more often. For a start, crawling out of my lovely warm snug bed is not much fun at 5am on a Sunday morning. I decided to have a lie in today and get up at six, I know I shall be late but who cares, why do they have to start so early!

By the time I got there at 6.50am it was already buzzing with activity, I didn't get the best spot for my pitch, but hey ho, it was brightening up. The traders were fairly active sniffing around all the stalls to see what they could pick up for a knock down price, and sell on their own table later on for a profit. A chap with a bulging carrier bag asked if I had any DVD's or videos, I said, no mate.

Real customers were mooching around but not buying very much, I got a bit busy a few times, but only because I was selling stuff dead cheap, my aim was to declutter and get rid of it. I chatted to my neighbours on both sides, and enjoyed one of my favourite pastimes of people watching. Just to make the morning more pleasant I chatted to anyone who came to see what I had. A tall guy in biking leathers hovered, just my type I daydreamed, I used to be a biker so we had plenty to talk about. I told him about my trips out on my Honda CX500 custom, he said he wished his wife was interested in bikes. Oh bother I thought! :-(

I did manage to sell some of my stuff but not as much as I would have liked, people are getting very tight, they want something for nothing, ha ha, just like me! £15 for four and a half hours is pretty dire, maybe I'll do better in 2010. It's off to the charity shop next week.

1 comment:

  1. We decluttered once by selling at a car boot sale and we made £80... about two years after that we had another go and came home with more tat than we had taken. Nothing had sold at all... and on top of that I had bought stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.