Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Jelly legs at Boggle Hole

I have gone a bit mad with the photo's on this one, hope you don't mind. I took ninetyfive, but have managed to get it down to thirtytwo, phew. Anyway, let's crack on. I went to Lockton which is a small village north of Pickering, just off the A169. This is the area of the North Yorkshire Railway, it looks a bit interesting on the map. There has been a lot of heavy rain causing flooding in the area, so I wondered what I was going to find.

The weather wasn't too good, frequent showers which became more persistant as the day went on, however my new jacket was doing it's job and kept me dry. I set off and this is the first view I saw as I turned a corner behind the old rectory, and left the village behind.

I walked along the top of a wood which fell very steeply down on my right hand side. The path started off very muddy and continued like this for a long time. Soon I was scrambling down through the scrub, being attacked by spikey bushes on all sides. The path continued to descend very steeply as I struggled to remain upright. At the bottom I came over this stile.

Eventually I came to a farm next to the railway line. The path I wanted to take through a field was completely impassable, it was waterlogged. Time for a drink and a quick bite to eat, next to this water wheel. All of a sudden I heard the distinct toot toot of a train approaching, I didn't think there were any running this early in the season. I looked up and saw a steam train, wow, got to get a picture of this. In my haste to get my camera out of my pocket and get a good position, I managed to trip over the towing hitch of a small trailer which laid on the ground. A split second later I was sprawled out on the grass with my face in the mud. I don't mind if you laugh, because I did. I jumped up and pointed the camera, yep think I have got it. When I checked, oh dear, I have cut the front of the engine off, what a shame, that would have been so good.

I thought I would put this photo in here as an example of the mud I was having to do battle with. In the summer this would be a pleasant bridleway to saunter along. No, this isn't where I fell thank goodness.

My alternative route was over the railway line and follow the path alongside. I knew I had to cross back over further up at Levisham Station. More mud to do battle with, and rain as well. I was paying so much attention to where I was putting my feet, I couldn't find the path I wanted. I went a bit too far, but no matter, I was able to turn right onto a tarmac road, which took me to the station, where I asked the ladies in the refreshment room if I might sit in their dry shelter for ten minutes to eat my sandwiches. They said, that's ok.

Suddenly it got quite busy, men in orange overalls came from nowhere and started busying themselves in anticipation of something about to happen. The warning siren sounded as they closed the crossing gates, so I guessed there would be a train arriving. I asked if it would be a steam engine. One man said the first would be a diesel, and the second would be a diesel but it would be towing a steam engine at the back. Another chance, I thought, yipee. So here they are, both stopped on the platform. They look like they are side by side going in the same direction, so I have cheated really. I love steam trains.

I set off from the station along the road, I'd had enough of mud and rain so I decided to go back to Lockton on tarmac. The road was very steep, with a hairpin bend at the top, just off the bend was a footpath straight on, still climbing, onto the moor. I checked the map and saw I could make a diversion to get some more height. Even though it was still raining I was determined to get up there, wow what a view! This is the picture I took at the top looking down on the road I had just walked up. A little bit of lingering snow left. The photo is a bit hazy due to the rain, but well worth the effort of getting up there.

There was a choice of which way to go next, but as time was getting on and it was still raining, I decided to follow a wide path which changed to a road. I stayed on the road through Levisham village, a chocolatey box picture village, pity I don't have time to linger. My walking mileage for the first day was 7.87
By 5pm I was setting off for the youth hostel at Boggle Hole. I got a bit lost because I wasn't sure which road off the main road I had to approach it from. Eventually I saw the YHA sign, three miles to the hostel. Then I came to a sign that said 'To The Sea Only'. By this time it was getting dark. I knew you had to park before you got there and walk the rest of the way. At last I found the car park, and set off down the track with my rucksack, cool box full of food, and a holdall, walking into the blackness. I was beginning to wonder where I was going, would I end up in the sea! After five minutes I could see the lights through the trees, I could hear the sea but not see it. I was given an eight bed dormitory all to myself, great. Time to cook dinner.

The next morning I saw how close to the sea we were. The main building has a waterfall behind it, with water continually flowing down the side of it, which then goes out to sea. When the tide is out you can drive a four wheel drive or a pick up truck, down the ramp and over the sand and pebble beach, to the courtyard. When they have a delivery they have to take their smaller vehicle up to the car park where the lorry will be waiting, to collect their stock. The building at the back, up lots of steps, is the annexe. A party of school girls were put in there on the Monday night, I'm glad they weren't next door to me.
In the picture you can see a pick up truck. Two men came to repair a wall, this is the ramp they had to drive down, then sharp left over the beach. There is a gap in the fence for pedestrians, you follow the walkway over a wooden bridge.

I took a short walk onto the beach and took this photo looking towards Robin Hood's Bay.

I decided to follow the footpath north from the hostel onto the Cleveland Way, towards Robin Hood's Bay. Not far to go now.

Thought I'd better have my photo taken. As you can see the weather is much improved today, in fact it is glorious, I have removed some of my layers.

Almost there now, this wonderful boardwalk makes it easier.

This charming olde worlde place is full of tiny cottages packed tightly together. Some of them must never get any sunlight through the windows, and not much privacy either. The best time to visit is out of season, it must get heaving with tourists in the summer.

Some of the streets are only the width of a couple of paving slabs, as you walk around you feel like you should be apologising for encroaching on their territory. I try not to look in the windows.

After half an hour of wandering around this model like village, and partaking of a double chocolate and toffee cone, it was time to continue my walk along the coast. I like to check the view behind me as I go, to see where I have just been, and thought this was lovely.

I headed inland towards Hawsker and walked along a disused railway track for a while. The railway between Whitby and Scarborough closed in the nineteen sixties, and now it is maintained as a walkway and cycle track. The old station here has been turned into a cycle hire place and cafe.

The two carriages are full of bicycles.

From here I set off back along the road which goes right through Fyling Hall School. Very strange, you think you are on private property because there is a big white gate at the entrance with the name of the school on a sign on a stone post. This was my longest day at 12.39 miles.

Day three and I set off south from the hostel, on the Cleveland Way. These are the steps at the start, quite a steep climb onto the top of the cliff.

A bit further on I found a lot of neat steps, thank goodness someone has built these for us walkers.
These were steps that went down towards the beach.

And then back up again. I decided to have a walk along the beach, might as well while I am there.
Some distance away I could see a waterfall coming from the top of the rocks, worth an investigation, I thought. I wasn't sure about the times of the incoming tide so I kept my eye on the waters edge just in case I had to do a runner back to the safety of the path. Isn't it lovely.

As I walked around the other side of it, with my back to the sun, I found a rainbow, even better, this is my lucky day.

Magical, I love rainbows.

While down on the beach, I got a different view of just how much of the edge was crumbling and falling into the sea. Large chunks of earth and vegitation are slipping away, in some places the path was only three feet wide. It wont be long before they have to move the boundary further inland. This concrete bunker type building is already losing it's foundations, you can see the right hand side of it jutting out. I think they will have to take it down before it falls down.

Look at this lovely wooden bridge, it's a work of art. Thank you to the people who put it there.

I'm not far from Ravenscar now. This is the view looking inland.

And this is the view looking out over the sea.

I'm almost in Ravenscar now. In the distance is Robin Hood's Bay, where I was yesterday. Wouldn't you just love a view like that, I could sit and look at it for ages.

I am beginning to feel a little bit weary now but there is still time to do a bit more, don't want to get back too early. I left the cliff top at this point, and continued my journey along the disused railway line/cycle track. After a mile or so I turned sharp right to head back to the car at the hostel. I hadn't done much moorland walking so I set off across Brow Moor and Howdale Moor. A bit early for the heather, and a bit flat, but thankfully not much mud.
Once off the moor my legs were beginning to turn to jelly and I still had a good bit further to go. I always push myself to the limit. I walked through a farmyard and looked for the stile out the other side. I found this gentleman waiting for me, my knight in shining armour, and I was his damsel in distress. It's a pity he didn't have a white horse to whisk me off to the car. Nice to see a farmer with a good sense of humour.

My mileage for the last day was 11.18 making a total of 31.44 for the three days. I'm quite pleased with that. I hope you like my photo's, thanks for looking.


  1. How beautiful! Those pictures of the rainbow are breathtaking!

  2. I admire your energy. It sounds as though you had a lovely time in a beautiful part of the country. Your pictures brought back many happy memories for me.

  3. Just awesome! what stunning views and that was an amazing trip

  4. Well done Ilona - what a great venture AND commentary on your journey - those pictures are fabulous - Ollie xx

  5. Most incredible pictures! Your commentary is quite amazing, too. You would make a great walking tour leader, lol. I would join you any day! You will have great memories from all of those adventures. I envy you and the time you can lavish on all those fantastic outings. Keep walking and dazzle us with your fabulous pictures!

  6. Really loving these tales of your walks and of course the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.


Comments are welcome from anyone with a Google account. I have had to change the settings due to the amount of troll comments coming through. My apologies to genuine readers who have been with me for a long time.