Tuesday 2 October 2012

Don't buy books, they're free from the library

Today I will do a book review.....before I have even read the books, ha ha. Bit different, eh! Yesterday the mobile library came as it does every Monday. It parks across the road on the Medical Centre car park, so not far to walk. It comes twice, first session 10.45am to 12.45pm, then again in the afternoon 3pm to 5pm. It also goes to some of the other surrounding villages. We are lucky that all this is free, well almost, I am sure a very small portion of my council tax goes towards paying for this service.
I thought you might be interested in why I have chosen these particular books, and because I haven't thought of another topic to post, this will fill the space nicely. So, what floats my boat, what am I interested in, and the reasons why I chose these books. 
HERE'S ONE I WROTE EARLIER, by Peter Purves, the autobiography. I remember him as a presenter on the TV programme Blue Peter, and his close association with the show's dog called Shep. I loved that programme. I see he was brought up in Blackpool, so that will be interesting as I lived in Blackpool for three years in my late teens. He is widely known as a presenter at Crufts, the national dog show, so there will be lots of doggy stories to read in this book.
REMEMBERING THE HIGH STREET, a nostalgic look at famous names, by Gordon Thorburn. I spent my early working life on the High Street, first at a leather shop, then Woolworths, and next at a smaller grocery store called Melias. My dad always wanted me to be a window dresser, at the time I didn't think I would be good enough so didn't push myself forward. It will be interesting to see how the High Street has changed. There are some old shop fronts in the Streetlife Museum in Hull, I love looking at them.  
BITS OF ME ARE FALLING APART, by William Leith. I skimmed through this in the library and it struck me that the writing style was very similar to John's, of Dont Unplug Your Hub blog. Easy reading, thought provoking, with a smattering of humour. It's about a middle aged man who is trying to put his life back together after a marriage breakup, when all around him the rest of the world is falling apart. Leith examines the ageing process in humans, and everything else as well, from the universe to the banking system. Should be a glorious mish mash of thought provoking ideas. 
REDUCING YOUR RISK OF DEMENTIA, by Dr Tom Smith. I am interested in any books which might point me in the right direction to living a healthy lifestyle. Dr Tom writes the medical column in The Guardian every Saturday, and has written several other books on medical matters. His style is easy reading and he doesn't blind you with science, he offers a good dollop of common sense. Chapters six through to nine deals with the dementia provokers of smoking, alcohol, high blood pressure, and cholesterol risk. He says that while we can't rely on lifestyle changes as a way of preventing dementia, the good news is that if we do our best, we will almost certainly delay it's onset and slow it's progress. 
A LUCKY CHILD, by  Thomas Buergenthal. A memoir of surviving Auschwitz as a young boy. I think this book will make me cry. When I was a little girl my mother told me stories of how it was in Hamburg in the war, how she lost her home through bombing. The stories are now becoming a little vague as I struggle to remember all she told me. I wish she was still here to tell me more. Thomas Buergenthal is a former judge of the International Court of Justice. You can find out more about him here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Buergenthal
RAINING CATS AND DONKEYS, by Doreen Tovey. A bit of light hearted reading here. Doreen has written many books about her life in a 250 year old cottage in Somerset, mostly about all the animals she has adopted. Looking forward to being entertained, perfect for bed time reading.
I have untill the 12th of November to read all these, phew, don't know where to start. Toodle pip.

14 comments:

  1. And here was I hoping you would buy my book. I might give you a copy, as long as you mention the book on your blog in return. Come to think of it though, I suppose most of your many followers are frugal too and will wait to find it in the bargain bin at the charity shop. Oh well can't win 'em all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought you might like to know Ilona that I just saved £100 on my car insurance, simply by telling them the new quote was too expensive. I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you John. Every year my broker sends me a renewal notice and every year I ring up and say you'll have to get it down a bit. They always find a cheaper quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another possible library freebie your readers might be interested in: audiobooks! I started listening to audiobooks when I had serious vision problems and surgeries some years ago, and now much prefer listening to "actual" reading, at least for fiction...something I never could have imagined, as reading has always been a HUGE part of my life. I think I had a book propped in front of my face for about half of every day of my childhood.
    Anyway, in my rural area, the many tiny local libraries joined forces to offer regional services including a combined online catalog. One great feature: I can also borrow audiobooks for 2 weeks as free digital downloads, along with the free software to listen with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have Bookmobiles that go to parts of the county. I live two blocks from the library, so it's always handy for me. Ilona, why don't you start writing down what you can remember of what your mother told you. As you go about your day, you will probably pry the whole story from your brain. Of course, you can type it, but carrying a scrap of something to write on will help you to recall things you need to write when you are ready. Just a thought since all these memories of WWII are slipping away or dying with people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good mix of books...The Peter Purves one might be of interest to me as he went to the Barrow in Furness repertory...that's where I was born....not in the theatre :)..I love libraries, a great asset to an area. Did you here on the news last week during the floods, one commentator said when he told some people their library had been flooded. "they were shocked" he said, not that it was flooded but they had a library!!...don't know if he was joking
    Mrs S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ilona
    Thankyou for signing the petition to stop the badger culling, much appreciated,just hope it does the trick.

    We also love the mobile library.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look good reads. Could you do a whole post on 'Toodle pip' as I am confused and puzzled!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like interesting reading Ilona...enjoy.
    I don't get to read as much these days, but I do enjoy a good book.
    Thanks to technology, I have been enjoying a few audio books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great selection of books. I look forward to your book reviews:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh books, glorious books. The 'Bits of Me are Falling Apart'title rang a bell with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I blimmin love our library, we have a library bus too, libraries are ace
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I am trying really hard not to buy any more books, read the ones I've got and then start visiting the library.

    Thanks for the great reviews. You should make this a regular feature of your blog.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got a good choice of books there, Ilona. I like the sound of the High Street and, the Raining Cats and Donkeys ones Look forward to hearing what you think of them once you've finished them all. We use the library a lot, my eldest son is always reading. Enjoy your books. Cheers for now, Christy.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.