Thursday 10 November 2016

Snuggly

Hello. Are you keeping warm, it's a bit chilly out there. If I keep my neck warm the rest of me usually stays warm as well. I often wear scarves, even in the house, but I remembered about this fleecy neck snuggly which I made a couple of years ago and dug it out of the cupboard. I posted about it, but I thought it's worth another mention because it's quick and easy to make, and someone else might like to have a go.  
All you need is a small childs fleecey top with a zip up the front. Mine was a hoodie, I bought it from a charity shop for 50p. It sits nicely around my neck, tucked inside my fleecy top. 
First I took the zip out, then cut across the middle off the garment under the armpits. I hemmed the two sides where the zip was, and hemmed the top. This one has two handy pockets, which could be used to hold a mobile phone, cash, or keys. I wrapped it around my neck and marked the places where the press studs needed to be.

Next I made a pair of fingerless gloves with the bottoms of the sleeves. Hem the cut edges, and put a few stitches between the thumb and first finger. They fit snugly round my wrists.

Keep a look out for a child's fleece in the charity shops, or maybe you have a child in the family who has outgrown theirs. Are you managing to keep warm?

I went to town this afternoon to collect two of my pictures from the Arts Centre. The third one is going to be in the Open Exhibition, which starts on Saturday and is on until February. I shall go tomorrow night for the preview.

Heidi is at the vet tomorrow morning, we need some more tablets, and they will be checking her blood count as well. She seems to be doing ok, she is quite lively and playful.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

15 comments:

  1. No matter how many clothes I have on, if my neck is uncovered, I feel cold and will actually become ill. I bought a child's pink scarf with fringe. I wear this all day in the house. It is short and won't hang all over whatever I am doing--brushing teeth, cooking, eating, etc. Plus the ends are short enough I can stuff them in the top of my sweatshirt.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the US there has been a glut of scarves in the thrift stores. Ones that once sold for $20-$30 are available for $1. I've been using them for everything from window dressings, to table runners and now back to scarves. Love the bright green one you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing good luck to Heidi at the vet and to you for the piece on exhibit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever idea, fleece doesn't unravel so you don't even have to sew anything but the popper on. well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wear a scarf in the house. I wear a dressing gown too. Bought from Bon Marche a good many years ago it is tremendously thick and snugly. I've looked for a newer version (i wear my stuff until it literally falls apart) but evidently as people have central heating in their houses nowadays (i've been informed) there is no need for such thick garments. I have wyncyette nightgowns too (same futile search). Where I live, charity shops do not have anything for 50 pence - there is not much difference between purchasing second hand and purchasing from a charity shop. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am they same Ilona, I am not just going to flick the switch and put the heating on, most of the time it is just my neck so I do the same as you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good idea. I have quite a few scarves including a fleecy one, but don't really wear them now. If I do wear one it is loosely tied around my neck as otherwise I feel that I'm being strangled, even gave up on polo neck jumpers for that reason.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Joan, including round necked tops that sit quite high. Had to ditch half my tops a good few years back (I do have my reasons). You might want to take a look at 'Buff Polar' (the orginal buff, but there may be cheaper versions), for ideas at least. They sit very loosely round the neck and the upper (much thinner part) can be pulled up over the mouth and nose if required for going out in freezing temperatures. Hope this is of some help.

      Delete
    2. Joan: Sorry, should have said that when you look online for the buffs, they come on a card so are stretched tightly to show off the colours or pattern. They are not like that when you wear them. If you live near a motorcycle accessory store or camping store, perhaps you could go and have a look.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for that information Indigo. Very useful to know. Indoors when I am cold I wear a fleece jacket that has a zip and stand-up collar which doesn't 'grip' my neck like a scarf or polo jumper does. When I go out (which isn't often) the same type of fleece jacket goes under my coat and the collar comes up. I am very rarely out in the cold as all of my journeys are by car.

      Joan (Wales)

      Delete
  8. I usually wear a buff around my neck, I used to wear them as hair bands years ago. Plenty of thermal layers on underneath too. I like the idea of the fleece but didn't quite understand the poppers, do the two ends fasten together so you have poppers underneath the other end we cannot see in the picture?
    Heating is on for 90 minutes in the evening at 16.5 degrees, it is quite cheap on a condenser boiler. My house is exceptionally cold; on a north facing windy hill with single walls, no cavity insulation, it's like a fridge most days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. The poppers keep it fastened, as opposed to it becoming loose and constantly needing to be re positioned, that would annoy me. To position the poppers put it around your neck and cross over at the front, then pick two positions where the two sides meet and sew your poppers there.

      Delete
  9. Keeping warm here, the winter woolies are out in force. I wear scarfs too especially at work to stop me freezing outside, I can't walk as quickly at the moment due to an operation so I'm getting cold more as hobbling is all I can manage.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.