Wednesday 3 February 2021

Finding new videos to watch

 Good morning. The weather was horrible yesterday, snowing in the morning, raining in the afternoon. I only stepped outside the door just once, to go to the mobile library. I took all my books back to get a new supply, because Stan is going to come fortnightly now instead of weekly. He is needed in the Central Library to help the woman who puts bags of books together. She is overwhelmed with the big workload she is given, so Stan to the rescue. 

These are my new books for the next two weeks. Unfortunately none of them are any good for me. I don't do cross stitch, don't buy jelly rolls and make quilts, don't grow orchids, and I am not interested in Mrs Clinton's life. Hopefully I might get some different books next time, I have modified my choices, can I have some art books please. 

I quite enjoyed my day in yesterday. I found some interesting art videos to watch, while  stitching away on the new arty piece. John Myatt went to prison for forging the paintings of great artists. He was a single dad and had two young children and needed to earn some money while looking after his little ones. He is a natural artist so took on some commissions, but got sucked into a scheme by someone who was out to make serious money. They didn't get caught for a long time, but eventually his fakes were spotted, and he was sentenced to one year in prison. He was let out after four months for good behaviour. I though it was funny that he used ordinary household emulsion to produce his fakes, and for a long time no one noticed. 
A few years ago he did a TV series, The Forgers Masterclass. He has three students and gives them a challenge, to paint in the style of a famous artist. He talks them through the process and gives them tips and advice. I must have binge watched six or seven of these, and found it very interesting. I might get my sample pots out and have a go. 
It looks like the weather is improving so there might be a chance for a walk this afternoon. Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

10 comments:

  1. Hi there, Nice to see a blog from you this morning. I am excited as I found out yesterday doing some research that my Great Grandmother (dad's mother's side) and both her parents were born in England in Stockton-on-tees, county Durham, not America. Is that near you? I knew she traveled on a boat to America from Europe but didn't know from where. Not sure yet if her parents came with her or stayed in England. Do you have any suggestions how to research in your country? No wonder I have always loved anything British. My dad's father's side were Irish or Irish Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. Stockton is in the North East, about 100 miles from me. I don't know anything about researching families, but I suggest that you Google Stockton on Tees and find a web site that deals with town councils, or local newspaper sites. Send emails with the details you have, names and dates, and ask if anyone can help you. The newspapers might put an advert in for you. Or, as Busy says, an ancestry web site.

      We have a reader in Middlesborough which is next door, Brenda might be able to help. Click on Cyclinginthesixthdecade, on the sidebar.

      Delete
  2. Sharon .There is a website called ancestry.co.uk.Some of it is free.A great resource for researching family history.
    Sorry,Ilona!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky having the mobile library still calling. Here they don't even do bundles of books to collect. Can't wait for the Libraries to re-open as I can't stand reading from the ipad or kindle, just not the same.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evening all our libraries are closed and we don't have a mobile library i miss getting books and dvds. I don't like reading from a kindle or tablet either i prefer a paperback or hardback copy plus my tablet broke so i won't replace it. I got a small laptop instead. Starting to rain here in Dublin again x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought my husband a book recently, I know he is really enjoying reading it as he has a smile on his face when he does. It's called running the world by Nick Butters, a true story of a man who ran a marathon in each country of the world to raise money for prostrate cancer.
    I wont link to Amazon but theres more about him here https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/55305942

    Maybe something you would like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer fiction novels with lots of action in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John Myatt sounds fascinating, what a talent he has for painting, obviously. I ordered a book online this week from our city library and it is available for me to pick up downtown. Books we request are put in bags, we pick them up and self checkout. It sounds like you are getting random books?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That 'jelly rolls' book sounds quite interesting. You could make your own jelly rolls, to make it more economical. I agree Ilona, I am not interested in Mrs Clinton's life either. Raining constantly here in Scotland today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am struggling with cross stitch as my near sight is getting worse.The joys of old age.But that is one of my favourite books.Jo Verso is considered the Delia of the cross stitch world.She sadly died quite young in an rta.Think I am going to have to look for easier sewing projects now

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.