Friday 11 March 2022

A walk around Carlton in Lindrick

A few piccies from yesterday. I only did 7.5 miles, due to me chatting with strangers. I parked at the church at Carlton in Lindrick, not far from Worksop. It is a quick hop skip and a jump down the motorway for me. Go down the A1 to Blyth then cut across the minor roads to Carlton. It is a massive church at South Carlton. Had to whittle my many photo's down to these few. 

YAY the daffs are coming. Spring is here. 
There are many old and gnarled trees in the churchyard. 

There are hundreds of gravestones, all very neat and kept tidy. I think they may have extended it into an extra space behind the church. 

I set off down a footpath opposite the church. It wasn't long before I came across a man walking his two dogs. I always chat with dog people, they are usually very friendly. Almost an hour later we said our goodbye's. It was great to have a conversation with someone who is on the same wavelength, if you know what I mean. The words flowed. 
I walked through Wallingwells wood and came out the other side into a field. There are lots of bridleways in this area because there are lots of horses. I got a little confused with the paths at that point, and found myself walking through Home House Farm, which is not strictly a designated through route. It was a massive place, an equestrian centre with a field set out with jumps for horses. There were hundreds of parked vehicles, horse boxes, trailers, vans and mini buses. And huge warehouses. A lorry was getting unloaded. I quickly walked through the yard and hoped nobody noticed. Out the other side through the main gate, I picked up a footpath sign. 
Lots of open spaces. The weather was warmish with a slight breeze. Ideal.  

By this time I was getting hungry, time to get out the cheese and cucumber sandwich. I sat on a low brick wall outside a cottage. The horses opposite were very curious. Who is this stranger. 
I turned round to find a couple of horses looking over the fence, almost breathing down my neck. I'm sure this one is smiling. 

Onward I went. I came to a road and turned left and came into the village of Woodsetts. There is a sign on the front of the pub saying they are looking for new managers. 

Opposite the pub, on the crossroads is this church. It doesn't look very pretty from the front view, but go round the back and it looks lovely. 
A very unusual door at the entrance. 

The date on this plaque caught my eye. 1918 the year of my mothers birth. Maybe this is a sign she is watching me. Can you see me mother. 

It was a very nice walk from Woodsetts back to Carlton. Along the way I met another dog walker. Another very nice chat. We were talking about how exercise and walking outside is good for the body and the mind. He is a psychotherapist. It was good to confirm that I am doing the right thing. 
I just made it back to the car with the daylight fading fast. I could see the church from across the fields. No need to get the torch out to find the way. 

The cats were ready for me when I got back at 7.30pm. First job, feed them. 
Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Have a good weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona 

9 comments:

  1. Oh my what a beautiful church and such an interesting walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post to read on my birthday. Can't believe I am 74 today. My how the years have flown by. Spent a relaxing day at home cooking and relaxing. Chatted with my son on the phone for 2 hours and my daughter for a little while. Nice to have contact with family. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday for yesterday. Your family made it special for you.

      Delete
  3. That church with the inky blue sky behind it looks stunning.Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had that vivid colouring in a photograph with other cameras. Hitting it at the right time is important I think.

      Delete
  4. Not a place I can say I've been to with any degree of certainty, although I've been back and forth on the M1 and A1 times enough. I'm sure I didn't stop there and linger, so it's great to have your photos and details of your walk ilona. I'll never tire of your days out. All those decades in the UK, and I still didn't get to the end of all there was to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to think that I will reach the end of my life not seeing a tiny fraction of all the places I would like to visit. Time is running out.

      Delete
  5. Great church in the floodlight ilona✨

    Levi xxx
    Did you have a nice weekend /Sunday
    I did
    life's what you make it I watched your video today on yooooutube


    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.