Sunday 31 March 2024

Plenty of water

I am running out of options for walks of less than an hours drive from home. I will have to start going further afield. My problem is that I do not get organised early enough, too much faffing in the morning. I live my life at a much leisurely pace now, and have no sense of urgency to go anywhere in a hurry. 
I have been to the Humber Bridge many times, and did not fancy walking across it again yesterday. I drove to Barton and parked in the car park at the Railway Station. It is a small station and not very busy, I think that is why they allow free parking. The Bus Station next to it is also very small. Not like a town or city Bus Station, just a simple turn around for buses between Scunthorpe and Hull. It's very convenient for those who wish to go over the Humber Bridge but don't want to drive over there. Also convenient for a days walking in the area, either south or north of the bridge. 
I passed the sign for the Shadow Bridge Brewery on the way, and suddenly remembered, I am a bit low on cider and beer. Swift left turn down to the Old Tile Works to stock up. The sunny afternoon had brought a lot of people out. There is a Restaurant and a Garden Centre, as well as Artisan Craft Shops. The cider looks very tempting so I chose four varieties. I sometimes fancy a beer with my dinner, depending on what I am cooking.   
My aim was to go to the River Bank and walk alongside the Humber towards New Holland. First was to call in at the Visitor Centre to get a Magnum Ice Cream. Too late, it was 4pm and they were just closing. Never mind. I have a drink and some snacks with me. I found myself in the Waters Edge Country Park. The paths are not very obvious on my scruffy well worn OS map so I just walked in the general direction keeping the river on my left, even though I couldn't see it. It was too far away. It's over there. 
On I went past fishing ponds down private tracks. I seemed to be moving further away from the river. The sailing club had a few visitors. 

People sitting outside with a drink at the Water Ski Club. No one brave enough to go into the water. 


Eventually I did find my way to the river bank, and sat for a while on a bench. Off I went again. I could see the Pier at New Holland in the distance and knew I wouldn't have time to get there. I need to find a road that takes me to Barrow Haven. At last I turned off right and went over a railway line. I read the sign to see if I was allowed to cross. There were instructions on how to cross if you had a vehicle, or a horse. Open gate, make sure you close it after you have passed through. No instructions for walkers so it must be alright. 
I followed a track past the back of an Industrial Estate, and arrived back in Barton passing a massive new build housing estate. I picked up a few essentials from Tesco and got home at 7pm.
I have just managed to make the 250 mile walking target for the first three months. If you are doing this challenge, let us know tomorrow on the first of April. As long as you are doing some exercise that's the main thing. Keep moving. 
See ya soon. Toodle pip.   ilona  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.