Wednesday 12 June 2024

An unusual parkup.

The A595 is a long and twisty road north of Barrow. No chance of rushing it, a few vehicles behind me because I was taking care through the narrow parts. The aim was to find somewhere to park up, and Ravenglass looks like it might have some possibilities. 
It's a small village, with a railway, steam trains, Roman Bath House, and a Castle. It would be a good place to start a day out. I looked for a suitable place to park. The big car park for the railway was empty at that time. I read the sign, it said £6 for a day. I took that to mean 24 hours, so I got a ticket. Then I checked the ticket and it said it was valid until 23.59 hours. That's no good. Another car park and the  sign said no sleeping in vehicles allowed. Can't see why not. I suppose it's to deter campervans. There was a quiet street but the sign said residents only. 
As I was walking around a man came out of a house. I told him of my problem. He very kindly said I could park in front of his house, just down the road. I went to have a look and he followed in his van. I was amazed with what I found. 
You can just see his blue van, he parked it next door, as there was no one staying in the holiday let. Dave Shackleton is a hero. He spends his time picking up all kinds of litter and rubbish from the beaches in the area. He sorts it all out and puts it on display at the front of his house. To see it all like this is shocking. Everything you see here has been found abandoned on the beach, swept up from the sea. Even the boat. 
There was just enough room for my car.   
Dave got up early and went off in his van at 7am. I drove to the car park soon after to make a coffee and use the toilets. 



Guess how many disposable lighters are in this box? I don't know, but I like the way he has stood them all on end to make an artistic display. This wouldn't look out of place in an art gallery. 

Thanks Dave, for letting me park on your front. I would never have known about your dedication to clean up the beaches if I hadn't spoken to you. 

I found this sign on the waters edge, which brings attention to the blight of rubbish on the beaches. 

Here are photo's of a beach clean up a few years ago. The moral of this story is, please take your litter home with you. 
Here is a web site with information of  what to see in and around Ravenglass. 
So, after a coffee and a wash and brush up, I was ready for the day. More adventures coming up tomorrow.
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.  ilona. 

9 comments:

  1. Dave is a hero for cleaning up the beach rubbish. The rubber boots dog is adorable. I pick up rubbish in the street when I walk my pup, in my neighborhood three blocks from the ocean any rubbish washed in the storm drains goes straight to the sea. I hate to think of sea life eating that stuff so I do my bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see some very sad videos of sea life being washed up on the shore tangled in mostly fishing nets. If they are found in time they can be cut free and will survive.

      Delete
  2. Debi from Leicester.Well what a great guy Dave Shackleton is!!.Not only helped you out with the parking situation,but also for keeping the area lovely and clean....plus bringing it to peoples attention by displaying it.Yesterday,we took my Mam to Mablethorpe for the day on a coach trip.We sat on the seafront with a tray of chips to watch the sea.There was coach loads of children on the beach...must have been about 300 of them,plus carers,parents,teachers all keeping an eye on them.When they were gathering up their belongings to leave I wondered just how much litter would be left behind....There wasnt one bit!.The beach was spotless!..It was as though they hadnt even been there.So well done to all them kids and carers who had so much respect in keeping the beach beautiful.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done those teachers. Now all we need is parents to join in and teach their kids to be responsible adults.

      Delete
  3. Well done Dave for picking up the rubbish and thankyou to him for letting you stay.i pick up the rubbish in my area as I can't stand to look at it.i don't mind it keeps my mind happy knowing the pavements are not littered around me lolxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope that Dave's neighbours are grateful to him for tidying up the beaches.

      Delete
  4. I hope Dave reads this as I too want to say a big “thank you” to him. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sent a link to this page to his email address. Not heard anything back yet.

      Delete
  5. Dave Shackleton should get an award for being such a community spirited hero. I thought it was incredibly lovely that he allowed you to park in front of his house for the night - so many people would have said no.
    Someone has written about him here:
    https://ursulatroche.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.