Friday 14 June 2024

St Bees and Whitehaven

Time to move on from Muncaster Castle. I drove further north on the A595 to St Bees. This is the starting point for the Coast to Coast long distance path. The idea is to dip your boots into the sea, pick up a pebble, and walk to Robin Hoods Bay on the east coast. There you dip your boots in the sea again, and leave the pebble there. It's almost 200 miles. I haven't done that particular walk, but have made up my own shorter version of the Coast to Coast. 162 miles from Morecambe to the Humber Bridge. 
Driving into St Bees was a bit of a nightmare, maybe I picked the wrong route, I don't know. The narrow streets were chocablock with vehicles trying to pass each other. I found the car park for the beach, paid for two hours, and dumped the car there while I went for a walk. It was a tad misty so no spectacular views. 

It was windy so only the odd dog walker venturing out onto the beach. 


Back to the car and I watched a family flying kites for the first time. After endless chucking them into the air, the kites not the kids, they eventually got the hang of it. The dog was content with running after the tennis ball. Two hours was enough. I didn't find the starting point for the Coast to Coast. 
I arrived at Whitehaven, the next place on my list to visit. The same parking problems. Everywhere has cameras, pay to park with a card or phone, or cash. I didn't have enough cash so I found one space on the side of the road, outside a pub, with no restrictions. I wasn't intending to stay long, so I took a chance and went a walk to look at the boats. 
Mock houses painted onto a concrete wall. Good idea I thought. 
I didn't go inside the Museum. 

This monument deserves two pics. 


Oooooh look. A large metal sign indicating that the Coast to Coast starts here. Confused, this is Whitehaven. I've had a look. Apparently there are several variations of the route, and one does go north from St Bees to Whitehaven. 

OMG, the water here is sludgy brown. I wonder why that is. 
This building is close to the marina. Sadly it looks neglected. 
I am sure that there are lots of interesting features in Whitehaven, but I was concerned that I might get a parking ticket, so I left after about an hour. There was a Tesco close by, a good place to use the toilet facilities and pick up a few supplies. A security guard was at the door. Sorry, the shop is closed. There has been a problem with the electricity supply and all the fridges and freezers were not working. Oh well. Carry on to the next stop. I need to find a parkup. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

5 comments:

  1. Hi, the water in the marina at Whitehaven is the orangey brown colour because bad weather has collapsed an old iron works, and the Bransty beck runs through it, bringing into the marina iron ore, hence the colour. Interesting it also can be seen in the Bridgewater canal, which has made the water colour a bit of a tourist attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's an interesting piece of information. It looked like oxtail soup.

      Delete
    2. If we have a prolonged dry spell the beck dries to a trickle and the marina waters go back to the natural colour, unfortunately this year has been incredibly wet.The old stone building that is derelict used to be the old swimming baths.

      Delete
  2. I love the houses painted on the wall! Great idea...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They caught my eye straight away. You don't see small houses like that very often.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.