Monday 8 August 2011

38 years left

We have a mobile library that comes every Monday, and the books I get out are either non fiction, or autobiographies. I don't want to read something that someone has made up, because I think real life is far more interesting. I also want to learn something, so I'll choose a wide variety of subjects. For instance, crafts, vegetarian cookery, computers, travel, psychology, sociology, animals, gardening, films, in fact all kinds of books.

The three that I am reading at the moment are self help books :-
How To Survive Past 55, What science tells us about ageing well, by Deanna Wilson.
The Elephant and the Twig, The art of positive thinking, by Geoff Thompson.
Quantum Wellness, A step by step guide to health and happiness, by Kathy Freston.

Apparently there is a massive industry out there for these type of books, as people are keen to improve the quality of their life. They are almost like Bibles, follow these golden rules and you are guaranteed a life of success and happiness. I quite like that idea, everything you need to know in a book.

I have been reading all about keeping fit for life, putting the sparkle in life, the anti ageing remedy, why diet matters, physical excercise, becoming your own healer, stepping up to the life that is calling you, how to get the energy for the journey, and develop your talent. There's a whole load of advice and information for anyone who wants a long and fulfilled life.

I am so glad I got these books out, because it has confirmed to me that I am doing everything about right, and I therefore expect to live to be 100. Toodle pip :o)

13 comments:

  1. Well they are experts after all!!! Live by the rules and surely... I woudl say at least 101 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will! You seem to have the genes and the lifestyle for it. Cautionary note, not everyone who follows a healthy lifestyle will be healthy. Genetics plays a huge role (latest research bears this out). Still good to eat well and do what you can by way of fitness though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilona, I'll send you an invitation to my 100th birthday party. Expect it early 2062!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Ilona, fingers crossed and a big party for your 100th birthday.A great opportunity for all your bloggy pals to get together and raise a toast.
    I also enjoy non fiction reading, but get enormous pleasure from losing myself in a well written novel too, a nightly ritual. Just a few pages helps me unwind. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read self-help books. I figure it will lay out too much work for me to do on myself. Actually, I have read and still do read fiction. While I don't read romance novels, I do read the classics. English is my field. You cannot get MA without loving to read the classics. Fiction is great. It is like going to the movies in my head. I can see all that happens as I read.It's entertaining. Fixing me is just work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, does the Queen still send a telegraph for your 100th! I have to say that i do enjoy reading fiction, but also non-fiction, never really read many self help book x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?....only 100?? I already thought you'd go way past that.
    Sorry I don't want to spend my last years in a nursing home and needing someone to wipe my bottom. No thanks!... I'll just enjoy the days I have. No sitting in Gods waiting room for me! Haha! Maa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I hope I won't have to live until I'm 100. Another 35 years? I think not thank you. If, however, it is what you want then I wish you long life and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ilona, you could write your own book. I would buy it and hope I can get you to sign it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't figure out how to sign in to post my comments. I really don't want to be anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as you keep body and brain active you shall get to a ripe old age, my dear. No doubt for you reaching the 100 mark!! Go for it and enjoy the journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The old lady who lived next door to us till last year, had her 102nd birthday in July. She now lives nearer to her family in a home as she had a stroke a little while back. I like the idea of long life but only if I can be fit enough to manage for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.