Thursday 11 October 2012

Another book review

Oh dear, I had to give up on this one. I really tried, but all it did for me was want to skim over it and get to the end, quickly. I got to page 32 and started skimming, in the hope that I would find something of substance, something to tweak my brain, something to enthrall me. It didn't happen.  

I searched the pages in vain, looking for key words which jumped off the page, something to catch my eye. I tried the next page and the next. I missed pages thinking I would pass over the endless babble and arrive at the whole point of the book. I couldn't find it.

Eventually I thought oh stuff it, let's bring this mind numbing excercise to an close, so I skipped a dozen pages and went straight to the back of the book to read the end. Basically it ended where it started, so what was all the stuff in the middle about then?

The author rambles, on and on and on. Passing through one subject after another with no interconnecting passages. His brain darts all over the place, like a demented savvy shopper on a mission to snap up all the yellow stickers.

Dark thoughts indeed, some of them downright depressing. He talks a lot about health, his own and family and friends around him. Graphic details of the ilnesses which caused his relatives to die. He focusses a lot on his middle age, you can't help but notice that he is 47 years old, he reminds you often enough, and the fact that his marriage has broken up.

A few passages did catch my eye as being the beginnings of a good story. He does recall some interesting experiences, but then goes and spoils it all by rambling, and I was left feeling 'oh, is that it, he has moved on to something else'.

This book doesn't flow, it is bitty, like a pan full of chopped up vegetables. It's all very well reading a short piece of writing in this style, but 200 pages is a bit much. I can't be doing with people peddling doom and gloom, then trying to disguise it as quirky and witty. Tell me a story, keep me intrigued, amaze me with facts, and for God's sake give me a smattering of simple humour.

Moving on, Heidi tried her best to stop me from typing, had to use one finger for a while, so writing this post has been slow going. I think she is a bit miffed with Mayze.

There is a bit of a power struggle going on at the moment, they are glaring at each other. 'Come down off there, I'm gonna get you'. Now now girls. 
Bugsy couldn't care less, he is happy snoozing in the window.
  It's a bit chilly today, must get off my backside and keep moving. Not putting the heating on yet. Toodle pip.

11 comments:

  1. I will give a book a couple of goes and then, forget it.

    I find that reading some out of print books, written many years ago, or things written by much older people than myself, they seem to put what is to us quite a normal word in quotation marks, which does stop your reading from flowing. Having said that it still like to read some of them, as they take you back to a former age.

    I'm reading a book about a man who cycled around parts of Gt Britain in the 1950s, and it is so much gentler than the ones of today, nice to spot the differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy cycling tours have you read dervla murphys books. Brilliant she cycles all over the world living amongst the people who had nothing but gave everything.

      Happy reading
      Midlands annie

      Delete
    2. Yes Midlands Annie I have read most of hers, from her very early tours. Anne Mustoe and Bettina Selby are two others whose books I have read (think all of them) Ilona, I think you might be interested in these too. I have quite a collection of travel ones, acquired as presents over the years.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, for no particular reason, I just don't click with an author. If after a few chapters I'm not eager to find out what's next - I give up. Life's too short for ploughing your way through a book that you don't connect with. I'm reading a book by Karen Maitland who is supposed to be brilliant, excellent reviews and my kind of genre but I can't get into it at all, it's disappointing. Thank goodness for libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he'd make a good blogger - ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like someone told him to write to get out all the angst of life--age and divorce. Then, he thought it would entertain others. Were there no ultimate lessons lying behind his stories?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops! I don't think you should bother to read my sorry excuse for a book, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree completely with you Ilona. I read to relax, to be educated, to be challenged but I cannot read a book that is deliberately depressing has no appeal to me.

    I love your cats Ilona...I have three that own me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness it was a library book:) Awww love the cats photos♥ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done a googlie on this author, seems he writes for The Guardian. I read a few of his articles, and found nothing to inspire me. PP, there were a lot of dead ends in the book, couldn't find any lessons to learn. I have to conclude that he is not my cup of tea.

    Pat, I understand your thinking. The book, 'A Lucky Child' was a bit depressing at times, reading about the holocaust is not happy reading, but all through the book there were signs of hope, optimistic thoughts going through the authors head. No matter how bad his situation was he found the strength within himself to pull through it.

    I couldn't find anything to spur me on to keep reading 'Falling Apart' I refuse to be dragged down by negativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ilona, It's a pity the book, didn't make for good reading. Perhaps, the next book in your selection will be better, so I look forward to your next review. I like the way that Mayze and Heidi are staring one another down, the looks on their faces, makes you wonder what they are thinking. If animals could talk... Bugsy lying on the lounger with not a care in the world, bliss. Cheers for now, Christy.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.