Friday 12 October 2012

Doubling up on dog treats

I am having great difficulty typing this because Heidi cat is lying on the desk between me and the keyboard, I'm having to reach over her. It's a bit crowded in here, three cats and a dog all squashed into my little office. These two are quite happy.
It was a bit of a manic morning today. My friend Helen came over and brought Henry choc lab with her for a walk. I fetched Paul's two black labs out for a walk, they live round the corner, and Rocky came as well. The four dogs had a whale of a time. We were out for well over an hour and everyone was dog tired when we got back :o)
This afternoon I went to pick up a kitten which was no longer wanted by it's owner. We get these phone calls quite a lot with all kinds of excuses why they can't keep the cat any longer. Luckily we have a space for this one so we could take it in, quite often we are full so can't help. Anyway, Janet came with me to pick up a little Ginger Tom, a cute little thing he is as well. We have to get him neutered soon then he can be rehomed. Hopefully someone will come forward for him.
I thought you might like this money saving tip, that's if you have a dog of course, ha ha. I use these meaty chunks for treats, I carry a few in my pocket. They are soft and dogs seem to like them. In fact I usually get mobbed by all the dogs in the neighbourhood when I am out in the village. I get dog slobber dribbles all down my jacket and trousers as they push their wet noses against my pocket. Dogs have been known to dash a hundred yards or more towards me if they see me in the distance. There's no escape, once they know I have them they never forget. It's costing me a flippin fortune, ha ha.   
Here we have eight chunks.
Get a pair of scissors and cut them in half, making eight into sixteen.
Easy innit!
The dogs think they are getting a treat but they are only getting half of one. They don't know any different. Good eh! Toodle pip.

14 comments:

  1. We have to use pill pockets for three of our cats..the cat ones are expensive so we buy the large dog version,and can get four cat sized out of each one.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you not glad that people turn over cats rather than dumping them or ignoring them?

    Those things look like they could be cut again and make 32. Have you ever thought about using cheap, gristly cuts of meat, cutting them, drying them, refrigerating them and giving those to the dogs? They would be better for the dogs (real meat) and most likely cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Rocky with you permanently now? He looks like he so belongs..I love your pics of him,it raises my spirits to see him (and the "Ginge" is gorgeous too,I have three)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to buy those soft (and stinky, aren't they?) dog treats, but it's just too much money. The good news: it turns out, my dog believes her usual kibble is a special treat if I hand it to her, piece by piece, from my pocket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, our dog is partial to a bakers meaty chunk. Isn't Rocky good with cats?! We had a cat but she died a couple of years ago and our dog was very protective of her and they would sleep together, but would instinctively chase any other cat that strolled into our garden.

    I can believe that you get quite a few calls regarding the cats and excuses. Last year a neighbour said he was getting rid of his puppy because it was peeing on his lawn and ruining it! I had steam coming out of my ears! Is it a charity you volunteer for Ilona?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I did when Mac came to stay a couple of weeks ago. Come to think of it I think you put me on to the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pic of Bugsy and Rocky is soooo cute haha. They obviously don't mind each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane, What is a pill pocket? :o)

    Yes PP, it's better that people try the rescues first before dumping animals, but the sad truth is that most rescues are full, so they give up.

    Hi Little Rosie, we are three friends who run this cat rescue. We ask for donations from people when we collect or rehome a cat, and we do some fundraising ourselves. We are a small rescue, we have some pens in a garden where the cats are looked after 24/7. We neuter and spay as required.

    Rocky is spending a bit more time here with the permission of his owner, as the weather gets colder. He loves my cats, and they love him. Rocky and Mayze are an item, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pill pocket is a really soft chewy dog/cat treat which has a hollow centre. The idea is to put the meds (pill) inside and the cat/dog scoffs it down without realising they have had their meds ..beats the heck out of a cat biting your fingers when you try to 'pill' it!
      Jane x

      Delete
    2. We just hide the pills inside a dollop of liverwurst. Purely medicinal liverwurst.

      Delete
  9. I had wondered if Rocky had moved in with you, too. It's nice for both of you that you spend more time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ilona, That's a good idea re the dog treats. You do a tremendous job taking in animals that people disown for whatever reason. I was wondering, would a local supermarket allow you to do a collection, ie, they put out a trolley and a sign requesting donations of pet foods etc for animals that you take in. There is a local pet rescue centre that often collects at our local Morrisons and Co-op, so just wondering if you might get some help that way, if you don't already. Also the local butchers, when people ask for bones for their dog, they give them for free but request a donation and that goes in a piggy bank on the counter to the local animal rescue place too. Rocky looks quite at home with Bugsy there, good that they all get on. Cheers for now, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have been drooling over that beautiful pic of Rocky & Bugsy. Rocky really enjoys his bit of luxury & pampering with you. Carry on with your current doggie treats, you can't penny-pinch every minute of every day - you are always amazing.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rocky looks slightly worried about your ginger! So cute.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.