Tuesday 30 October 2012

Fussy eaters

At last I have finished a packet of black eyed beans, they've been in the cupboard for ages. I soaked them overnight, then put them in the slow cooker this morning along with some carrots and onions and herbs and spices. I've been out all day so I was looking forward to having a ready cooked meal when I got back. The beans were cooked alright, but the carrots and onions weren't, so I put it all back in a pan and simmered it for another fifteen minutes on a gas ring. Then I blitzed it with the stick blender and made a kind of rough soup. I must say it looked horrible, and didn't taste very nice either. But not to worry, it's all good stuff in there, and I don't throw food away, so I ate half of it, and I have the other half to look forward to tomorrow.

I was at my friends house earlier as she was preparing the evening meal for her and her husband. We discussed what we like to eat, and she said she could never eat something that she didn't like the look of. Her food looked lovely, and I would have been happy to eat what she was dishing up, apart from the sausages that is. When I tucked into my gruel soup I smiled to myself, ha ha, she would have chucked the lot down the toilet rather than eat it. Some folks are a tad fussy aren't they. Toodle pip.

15 comments:

  1. The more money, the fussier people tend to be. Since I retired from full-time work and the monetary resource is less, I've become very vigilant of stretching the food dollar and have been enjoying some "different" creations. Fussy no more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed on your willpower.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food looks best to me when someone else prepared it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be like that as a child. Now as an adult I keep discovering things that I love but haven't eaten because I didn't like the look of them.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a sort of horrible satisfaction to eating something thats not that great but is nutritious and frugal. A very mature approach !
    Your treats will taste all the better !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have left the beans and veggies as they were, rather like a veggie/bean stew. I quite like those unusual beans and love chick peas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black eyed peas are rather 'earthy' aren't they?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried them in Cowboy Caviar? The beans are cook then marinade with onion, green or red pepper, tomatoes and corn in Italian Dressing scooped up with corn chips. I like a little heat so I use a jalapeƱo or Serrano pepper in with my bell peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It might be better for adding a few cooked potatoes and re-zapping with the blender. I eat black eyed beans a lot but I've never tried zapping them. You're so virtuous Ilona, my freezer is full of stuff that I keep avoiding because I know I didn't enjoy the soup/casserole etc when I first made it. The funny thing is though, I always think things taste so much better once they've been frozen, left for a few months and then used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all sorts of beans, and I always cook them from scratch. I use them in salads, cook them into a spicy sauce or have them with tuna on a jacket potato. DB doesn`t eat them, so there is always more for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am like your friend. I like to enjoy the sight, taste and texture of my food. Food is one of my pleasure. I enjoy cooking new recipes and eating yummy food. I don't eat takeaway but love fresh,good quality food. I would struggle to eat a soup I didn't like, but would persevere the first night - more because I wouldn't have enough time to cook again. But I definitely wouldn't save it for another night.

    You're very strong willed, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you, it is very very rare that I dislike something enough to throw it away, will grin and bare it for a meal when I have to. No time for fussy eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We eat lots of pulses, I cook them with onion, celery and peppers and usually add turmeric and smoked paprika. A sprinkle of herbs and garlic, maybe some shredded root ginger and tomato paste that I make and freeze. I cook it in the slow cooker and it does at least 2 days. I will throw in a dollop of chutney sometimes or a shake of worcestershire sauce whatever is to hand. filling, nutritious, tasty and very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot imagine why carrots did not cook in the length of time it takes to cook blackeyed peas. I like pretty food and I like good food. Blackeyed peas may not be aesthetically pleasing to some, but they look like heaven to me. I would never look at a food and say it looked horrible to eat. Well, if it had sheep's eyes in it, I would think it looked to horrible. Go back to the Hopping John recipe and try that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We eat lots of "if it". If its on your plate, eat it!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.