Wednesday 13 May 2020

Small steps

Good morning. Did you take a look at Bjorn's video yesterday?  He explains in another video that he spent many years as a therapist, and now is a novelist. A wise man.

Today we are allowed to spend more time outside, we can travel to go somewhere else to walk. I can get in my car and drive to another place. I am happy with that. It means that I have more choice. This small concession has lifted the black cloud that was hanging over me. I'm not sure how much longer I could have gone on for, limited to the confines of my village and local area.

This doesn't mean that I will be flitting about here there and everywhere, oh no. I shall be thinking about where I can go to avoid people. I have already done a lot of the touristy places, so I know where everyone else will be heading for. I will not be joining them.

I won't be venturing onto packed beaches just because the sun is out. I will not be joining the queues to trek, or shuffle, up Snowdon. I shall be looking for out of the way places where there is little chance that I will be bumping into anyone. When people ask me if I have done the 'Coast to Coast', or the 'Pennine Way', I have always answered, no thanks, they are like the M1 motorways of long distance paths. I don't follow the sheep, I make up my own routes.

I won't be setting off in every direction in my car, every day. I still like being at home, it's all about balance. Being able to go out if I want to.

Social distancing will stay with me, I don't want to be close to strangers. I have a bubble of friends which I am happy with. A simple life means a lot less hassle. I don't eat out, don't go to pubs, don't go to large gatherings, parties, shows, concerts. Eventually I might want to visit an art gallery, a library, or a craft fair, but I will be taking the venue into consideration. Preference being given to outdoor events.

Yesterday I made a diversion from my regular five mile route just outside the village. I walked further along the river bank, but then came to a dead end at the Industrial Estate. I thought I might. I did it a few years ago when I found a route around the perimeter, but this is no longer accessible due to the farmer ploughing right up the edge of the field. So I doubled back and took the track past the farmhouse and re joined the normal route. When I got back I checked the mileage on Bikehike.co.uk and found I had done seven miles instead of the usual five. It made a nice change to go a different way.

Will I go out today? I want to post a parcel this morning, then I'll think about what to do next. It's a tad chilly, and I want to get on with the weaving, so maybe I'll save a car trip for another day. Will you be spreading your wings  as you get more freedoms, or are you happy to make small alterations to your routine and see how it all pans out?
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.

21 comments:

  1. Even if you wanted to you are not allowed to travel into Wales. Different rules here, we have extended the lockdown and must stay at home.
    Enjoy your new freedom to travel for exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No rush, I can wait.

      Delete
    2. And yet sadly the majority of folk do not get it that here in Wales, in Scotland and in Northern Ireland it is what our leaders say that matters not just what that clown Boris announces. Literally the minute his address to the nation finished our neighbours with the campsite were getting enquiries from people wanting to visit for the next weekend and book holidays. Some of them got quite abusive saying poor Naomi had things wrong when she patiently explained that Wales is still closed to visitors and even us locals can only walk from our homes and not drive to exercise.

      Delete
  2. We will carry on much the same as before, walking our dogs and letting them have a good run on the beach and in the fields. Both are local so no change really. Family live 100 miles away so not really possible to meet up outdoors and then drive back. We usually visit once a month and stay with our daughter for a few days or she comes here. Also visit sons and my 3 sisters at the same time. It's too far for a round trip atm. May meet half way if it goes on much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally. My family are 100 miles away, we don't make regular visits anyway, so a few more months won't make any difference. At least I am not land locked here, now I can make a short journey to the coast.

      Delete
  3. This is the new normal, social distancing and shopping wearing masks will be around for a long time as there is no guarantee there will ever be a vaccine. Like you I'm pleased to be able to get out more and escape to other places to walk or ride my bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to carry on taking precautions. Some new scenery would be nice.

      Delete
  4. It's just having the freedom to go out is you want to, not having to stay in. We won't be going out far, nowhere near shops or garden centers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my normal food shopping, when I actually need food, as usual. I won't be going to garden centres, my garden is full, no room for anything else.

      Delete
  5. I don't drive and we are still under restrictions (although they have now opened Provincial Parks and more hiking places for day trips - no camping as yet) and some cottage areas have opened a wee bit but these won't really affect me.
    I am getting a wee bit bored walking the same route around the neighbourhood so will expand my outings a bit. The issue is - I have to go on the subway to get to places - but - since there are very few riders at the moment and I use gloves & a mask whenever I ride it I'm fairly comfortable about travelling a bit further afield.
    The one issue that we've also had to take into account is that most public washrooms are closed at the moment and places like coffee shops are only for takeout so nowhere "to go"! It's difficult to be spontaneous about things these days! Enjoy your new walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was getting a wee bit bored as well. Nice to have more options. I see your point about washrooms, I think most of ours are closed as well. I am happy to pee behind a hedge when no one is about, and carry some wet wipes with me.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ilona. Sorry I left a question about your loom back on your video post but not sure whether you saw it? Many thanks😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda. I saw it and thought I'll deal with that later. Then when I remembered I forgot which post it was on. Good job you asked again. To make a loom all you need is an old wooden picture frame. You need some small tacks, like those pins you use for fixing veneer boards to a wall, those without heads so they don't show when you knock them in.

      Measure along the top and bottom, where you are going to knock the pins into, doesn't matter if it the back or the front of the frame. Mine are 1 cm apart. Don't knock them all the way in, leave a bit sticking out so you can wrap the warp round them.

      For the warp I have found nylon wool better than string, because it has a bit of flexibility and will stretch a little bit. Doesn't matter what colour you use, but keep in mind it will show along the top where you thread the bar across to hang it. You need to wrap the warps tight though, not slack. Then off you go. Start weaving.

      Delete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed Bjorn's video. He has such a calming voice doesn't he. I wish my leg was strong enough to be able to go for a good long walk. I can only just manage a couple of miles. I'm working hard to strengthen it s hopefully will be able to add a few miles on my tally later I the year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ilona, I don't often post a comment but feel there is room for me to add my twopenneth, I don't go out much at all anyway but I think we struggle with having most of our choice taken away, I especially feel sad because although people have family miles away my Daughter only lives a mile up the road I can't give her a hug because she's a key worker as a dustbin driver, oh Ilona, sorry to treat you like an agony aunt but I think it's because you're very understanding. Stay safe. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret you can bounce off me anytime. Even though I am not a hugger, I understand the need for families to hug. One day you will be able to hug again, but for now just tell your daughter that you love her.

      Delete
  9. I tuned in to Bjorn's vlog and cannot thank you enough. He got me to re-think what's going on with this corona virus - the TRUTH about the virus and where we are headed. He opened my eyes to what I did not want to see and hear. Thank you, Ilona. I am now working toward being better prepared. I now believe any corona virus "injection" governments want to "force" on their people, is the "mark of the beast." If you refuse, you cannot buy or sale anything, just like the Bible says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the video. He speaks as he finds, it's like he has a sixth sense. I have read all the scaremongering reports of Armageddon, the mainstream media latch onto this and manufacture and manipulate the science to fit their agenda, to sell newspapers. Bjorn goes with his gut instincts, he doesn't have an agenda. Some people have vision.

      Delete
  10. Ive just watched Bjorns video and loved his calm relaxing voice...he reminded me a bit of John Grey with an accent!.It brought back a memory from woodwork class at school,when I had got near to the end of finishing my cheese board.I was so proud of it...then just took a couple more scrapes off the wood...and made a hole in it!I was devastated!!.As far as any changes that have been made,we are carrying on just as we were.Staying in, mostly in the garden and keeping away from others as much as possible.I am still getting a bit of walking in to take my Mam some meals and enjoying listening to the birds singing!.Im not crying now every few days as I was during the first week of lockdown!.Now I have just got used to a simple live...which I lived anyway.I was given 6 sunflower seeds to plant so I will be watching them come through...hopefully,lol.Im usually quite lucky with them.My free wildflower seeds have all grown and my mint and lavender plants are growing like crazy!Keep smiling!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a video where Bjorn speaks in his native tongue. Even though I don't understand a word, he sounds just as dreamy. His voice matches his stature, tough and solid with a good helping of empathy. Just as you would expect as a therapist.

      Delete
  11. I'll be happy to wait until this is all over before I go anywhere other than my local supermarket, a nice five minute walk away.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.