Monday 16 August 2021

Coming together slowly.

 Hello. What's been going on here then. Slow progress with the brick laying. The fence is not all the same height so the bricks won't be level all the way across. I have put a step in them. The ground is also not flat so there's been a lot of digging to do. It is lower at the front than it is at the back. 

Building up the height at the front to match the back is not easy with loose soil and stones. It really needed wet cement but I am not going to go to get into that. I've thought of a way to try and support the front bricks so they don't slide forward. Stick some knives into the ground vertically to support the second row, I have plenty of those, and poke some tent pegs horizontally underneath the first row. All I am going to do is put some plants and small bushes in pots on top of this ledge.
 
There is a tree stump in the right hand corner which I have to get out before I can carry on with the bricks to the end. Still plenty left, I will use them up on the other sides. 
Look what I found. A 6ft by 6ft pallet. Someone put it on our village page, free, it was in the next street. With a friend we managed to transport it to my place on a wheel barrow. I didn't think it would be possible. A balancing act but it worked. I will find a use for this. 
After a wet start to the day, the sun has come out. So I'll go outside and do a bit more. Thanks for popping in.
Toodle pip.   ilona

9 comments:

  1. The people who did my patio used concrete dust swept between the stone slabs and the bricks. When hosed down it's become very firm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it is coming along nicely and dont worry if it isnt all level.When your pot plants are on there you wont even notice it!.It will be a hard job removing a tree stump...cant you make a feature of it?.Maybe drill a hole in the middle and stick a solar light in it.Thats me,anything for an easy life,lol.That pallet will come in useful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilona,
    Well done it's not easy. Rather than dig out the stump (difficult job) maybe you could do as I did: i attached some flexible log roll around & secured it. I got twelve inch. I don't know how high your stump is but if you have theig roll taller you have an instant flower bed plus, you have lost ylur tree stump, voila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more stump to dig out. The last one wasn't too difficult, it had started dying because I had butchered it over the years.

      Delete
  4. Well done Ilona, it's amazing what strength we have isn't it.
    I remember when we had our allotment we were given a green house, I am not lying when I tell you that we balanced it on a wheel barrow and wheeled it along the path and onto our allotment without breaking any glass.
    Good luck with the stump.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a way, Briony. A bit of muscle power helps, and swearing.

      Delete
  5. Enjoying seeing your antics in your garden you are like me where there is a will is a way. I made a feature of my stump when I had a Christmas tree was removed and made a little pond round it.
    The pallet will be lovely with climbers on it or whatever to do with it.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an apple tree which I chopped down gradually. In the end it was a feature, but it didn't survive. I managed to get it out of the ground, now Rocky is down there. A perfect spot for him.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.