Tuesday 17 August 2021

Extending the life of flowers

I fill up the gaps in my flower beds and pots with artificial flowers, so there is some colour over the winter. These flowers come from the bins in the churchyard. After Christmas and New Year has passed, people tart up their graves with something fresh and new, and throw the old decorations away. 
So, I lift the lids and remove anything which has a bit more life left in it. Some flowers are plastic, some are silk. I bend the wires which are attached to the wreath and pull them out, and leave anything in the bin which is too far gone to do anything with. 
After a year or two in my garden they start to look a bit faded. Yesterday I had an idea, I could paint them. These were red. I think they look lovely in purple and blue. 
I will put them back in the garden. They will last a bit longer. I have some tester pots of household emulsion paint, which I got cheap. I don't know how long these will last, but it's better than binning them. 
I am uploading a video, it will appear at some point in the next few hours. Now waiting for yooohoootooob to do it's thing. 
In the meantime I have a dog walk to do, and some hedge trimming. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona 

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of painting the flowers to give them more life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good idea to look out for cheap tester pots of paint which might come in useful in the future.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ilona, What a great idea for the garden in the winter (and now I am going to do the same)! Hope you are having a good day in jolly ole' England. Nancy from Northern California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dab of paint here and there adds a bit of colour to lift the spirits.

      Delete
  3. The purple and blue go really well together. Do you remember Omo roses? They were given away with the washing powder and they were plastic and not particularly nice. Fake flowers have come on in leaps and bounds since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember free flowers with washing powder, they were obviously fake. Nowadays they look very realistic.

      Delete
  4. Those flowers look lovely.I rescue flowers and plants from our cemetery bins as well.I am amazed what people will just throw into the big wire bins to go to landfill.Some of them are like new still.At Christmas time,I take some little decorations and trim the 3 little Christmas trees that I rescued..that are growing to about 3 ft now...and put them between the graves of people who havent had any flowers brought for them in maybe 40 years.Its much better to rescue and reuse,than just throw away!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Debi. Always look for free things.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.