Wednesday 18 August 2021

Progress in the garden

The brick laying is done alongside the fence. To support the first row of bricks I laid a black metal curtain pole underneath the front of them, then knocked some tent pegs in horizontally to hold it in place. I'm glad that part is finished, all that kneeling down was making my legs ache.  
Now there is a back breaking job to do. Dig over the bare soil, which is compacted because of the bricks laid on top of it. I've made a start and found more buried rubble, and lots of roots from the ivy which covered the garage. The trunk of that will need digging out. Oh well, more kneeling. 

To give myself a break from kneeling down, I took my shears down a footpath which is almost impassible because of all the brambles and nettles which are growing like crazy. I noticed it the other day when I took Billy down there. Had to fight my way through, it's like a tunnel. I don't know who's responsibility it is to clear it. This is the before photo, I forgot to take an after one. Further on down there in that black hole it was very overgrown. Silly me had a skirt on and now my legs are tingling with nettle stings. Most uncomfortable, it feels like needles sticking in me. 
I have noticed that is is getting dark a little earlier now. Oh dear, have to make the most of the daylight before winter comes along. 
Tatty byes for now. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip. 

11 comments:

  1. It's starting to look really nice. Really hard work though. I have noticed how much earlier it is when it is getting dark. I'm not sure how I feel about that really. It's the cold I dislike more than the darker nights. I had the heating on for the past few days. I wouldn't mind last Summer again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been tempted to put the heating on, instead I am layering up. Seems a bit early for that in August.

      Delete
  2. You have really made it look nice and can imagine how painful your knees must have felt.
    Hazel 🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much my knees, I have a thick spongy kneeler pad. The muscle ache is in my upper leg muscles as I reach forward.

      Delete
  3. looks lovely,getting out the trunk of the ivy?sounds like a big job...when i was a kid we called those nettle plants,stinging needles,until just recently i thought that was their real name lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how thick ivy grows if you let it do it's thing.

      Delete
  4. It really does look a big area now that the garage has gone.I know what you mean with the ivy.It really is hard to get rid once it takes hold.We had to saw through the trunk of it.But it is growing from under the decking.So now Im left with a load of brown rotting leaves up to my bathroom window....and I noticed the other day that a new lot is starting to grow up my wall from under the decking again.I hope that your legs heal soon.That must be really painful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved George Carlin's humor. Thanks for the reminder. Yours truly Elaine from Virginia USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work, well done, looks great xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ilona, I continue to enjoy your site. Stay safe, best wishes Susan (Spreckly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan. Nice of you to drop by. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.