Monday 25 April 2022

The Hepworth Gallery at Wakefield

Yes, I was at Wakefield yesterday. I had been wanting to go to the Hepworth Gallery for a long time. I was in Wakefield a few years ago but it was late in the day and not worth paying for the car park and entry just for an hour. 
I picked up a leaflet from the 20 21 on Friday night, a guide to the UK's must see exhibitions, and spotted a textile exhibition, so I thought, I must go to that. 
The artist is Sheila Hicks, and this exhibition is definitely worth seeing. She has a web site full of pictures of her works. Check it out here. 
When you walk in the door of the Hepworth the galleries are up the stairs. When you get halfway up the stairs turn around and look back. This is what you see mounted on the wall high above your head. 



Colour and textiles is what I love. As I walked through the halls I was in awe of the sheer scale of the works on show. These bundles of fabric offcuts are huge and filled one side of the room. 
These hanging fibres are wrapped with embroidery silks. 



Another huge pile filled the corner of another room. On closer inspection the massive cloth pebbles are enclosed in mesh bags. 


From ceiling to floor. I wonder if these strands are transported separately and assembled onsite. They must weigh a ton. 



This is rather like a massive beaded curtain. 

Here is some blurb about the artist. You should be able to read it if you click on it to enlarge it. 


I made a walk through video. 
There are more photo's, I'll put them on another post. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

2 comments:

  1. I've just had a look at one of the videos on Sheila's web site. Very interesting. It shows how some of her works are constructed, and installed in a gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I wouldn't want all of them them personally her bold use of colour is fabulous. Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.