Thursday 1 September 2022

A visit to Selby

Here are some pics from my visit to Selby yesterday. The magnificent Abbey stands in the town centre. I have seen it before, in 2011 and 2017. 
It is breathtakingly beautiful. 




A nice cafeteria for a drink and food. 


I don't know what the difference is between an Abbey and a Cathedral. For more info take a look at the Abbey web site. Here is a video I made. 
Time to go for a walk. I got onto a track alongside the River Ouse. After a few minutes I realised I had been on it before on a long walk I did. I remember staying at the pub next to the Abbey, then setting off the next morning along the river.  This is a railway bridge which goes over the river. It is all so overgrown that the river is hidden from view, so quite a boring walk. I went so far then realised I was not going to have time to do the intended walk, so I turned round and went back into Selby. 
A lot of veg growing going on at the allotments.

I had time for a little bimble around Selby. I could see the spires of two churches so I went and had a look at them. This is St Mary's Catholic Church. 
The Town Hall is an interesting building. 

St James the Apostle Church. 

Time was getting on. I had spent a lot of time chatting so I wasn't able to go for a longer walk. My fault, I am such a gasbag 😸
Don't forget, if you are doing the walking challenge you can still check in with your mileage on the previous post, at any time. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. 1. An abbey is headed by the Abbot and or the Abbess while the cathedral is led by the bishop.

    2. An abbey is more of a monastery while a cathedral is more of a church.

    3. An abbey is built to serve varied functions compared to cathedrals that are primarily for worshipping only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. weird fact my great grandad died falling from selby abbey during Victorian restoration work he was a mason

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.