Wednesday 10 May 2023

Cinema trip. (updated)

I did something a little bit different today. I went to the cinema. I haven't done that in yonks as we used to say. Can't remember the last time, many many years ago. Trailers have been popping up all over the place on the internet. I like Jim Broadbent so this one looked appealing to me. Here is the trailer if you want to check it out. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. 
There are seven screens at Scunthorpe. £6 if you book online, I don't, so £7 for me. 
Waiting for the film to start. Got to have a Magnum ice cream. 30 minutes of adverts to sit through. If I was watching this on the computer I would click 'skip ad'. If I go again I will be sure to arrive just as the film starts. There were about 12 people watching it. 
So what was my verdict. I loved it, my kind of film. The acting was superb, the storyline was like a roller coaster ride, plenty of highs and lows, twists and turns, and plenty of flashbacks to the past. In parts it was very emotional, I wanted to bawl my eyes out. Because it is about a very long walk, and strangers you might meet along the way, that was particularly appealing to me. I felt very much at home with the scenery, and imagined walking every step with Harold. I know all about the emotional side of carrying on when you want to crawl into a hedge bottom and go to sleep forever. Jim portrayed the pain and anguish of his journey perfectly. 
I doubt I will be a regular cinema goer. From what I saw of the trailers, nothing took my fancy. I wouldn't sit through a film if it had no appeal to me. 
Toodle pip.   ilona

Update.
I woke up this morning with this film playing out in my head. I need time to digest all the twists and turns in the story. Although it was a film about a long journey from one end of the country to the other, it was also about the long journey we all face when going through life. There are always going to be mistakes, regrets, and taking wrong turns, but we all have to walk our own path, with or without the help of others. 
Without giving too much away, a solitary walk for Harold turned into an army of followers as others joined him. I was actually disappointed that the story took this turn, and thought about walking out and leaving the cinema. That's a normal reaction that often happens to me when I am in a place where I don't want to be, usually in a crowd of people. Think about the two group walks I have recently been on. If I go on any more I will tag along at the back, not mingle in the middle. Harold realised that this was folly, he didn't ask anyone to join him, they just did.  It was not working for him.  A lesson learned means you can change direction and get back on the right path.  
There are a lot of message in the film. Go and watch it and see if you can spot them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published after my approval.