Friday 22 September 2023

Godshill in miniature

Time to move on. Next stop was the Model Village at Godsill. I wanted to park overnight in the council run car park, but I couldn't. Sleeping in vehicle not allowed. I found a layby which was a bit too close to the road, too much passing traffic. On the way to Godshill I saw a Gulf petrol filling station and a big big yard. I asked the man if I could park there, he said yes, and pointed to a suitable place next to the fence. Loverly just the job. I spent £5 in his shop and bought some bottled drinks. 
Then something amazing happened. A woman who had been washing her car, had been watching me walking to and from the shop. She moved her car to just behind mine. She said, I know you, I have been reading your blog for a long time. Wow, what an amazing coincidence. She told me her name. I seem to remember that she has sent comments in the past. We stood ages chattering. It turned out that she lives in Trinity Road, my parking place the night before. What a fantastic surprise to meet her. We got on great, lots to talk about. 
After a good nights sleep at the Gulf Garage, and the usual morning coffee, I drove back to Godshill, and got prime parking position in the car park because I was early. Strangely enough there are no charges during the daytime. I took a few snaps of the village before anyone was about. 




I wandered up the hill to the church. There is a group of thatched cottages here. 

So, who took my photo at the front door of this one? A man in a van turned up and set out his bench to start work. We got chatting, as you do. Darren is a master craftsman who renovates windows and doors in listed buildings. The old windows are taken out, the rotten wood is removed back at the workshop, and he brings them back looking like new, and refits them. Darren moved to the Isle a few years ago, brought his family. He says this place is like heaven compared to the London borough where he came from. 

While we were chatting a man came with the keys to the church, to open up. It seems pretty much standard practice to leave churches unlocked during the daytime here, so visitors can enjoy quiet moments. 

Now a bimble back down to the village to see Godshill in miniature. Lots of photo's for you to browse, and lots of good memories for me to look back on. 


















The church is an exact replica of the real one. 

And the thatched cottages where I met Darren, and he took my photo. 

And now you have seen the pics, have a look at the movie. 
I will chop this post off now, I must go shopping. Come back later, there's more of my visit to the Isle of Wight. Not done yet, plenty more to come. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

15 comments:

  1. The buildings there are incredible! What a coincidence running into one of your readers. The same has happened to us once or twice, sometimes in the most random places. Of course, they generally recognize our dogs and not necessarily us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim and Barb. A second chance encounter happened a few days later. Someone shouted hello ilona out of an open passing car window. Amazing isn't it.

      Delete
  2. Martha from Canada here, I can't seem to get the Google sign on to work. Anyhoo, I need to get back to walking and thought I better look you up for the best inspiration. Hadn't read here since you took up bike riding, I have a lot of catching up to do. I also love your car expeditions and wish I could do more of these but have become an extremely anxious driver in my late 60s to the point that I dread going out even to the supermarket. I avoid rush hour and expressways if at all possible The worst for me are drivers who tailgate while I respect the speed limit. I tend to focus on their bullying tactics to the point of distraction. Who better than you to give driving and car tips, hint hint. Perhaps you already did, I'll check your videos which I greatly enjoy but need to catch up there as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the update Martha, good to hear from you. It is difficult to keep up with all the changes that are thrust upon us when driving around. I used to be a speed merchant in a lorry because of all the pressures to get the job done. Now I drive at my own comfortable pace. My aim is to get from A to B without any incidents. I can still put my foot down, but would like to hang onto my clean licence so I tend to take notice of speed limit signs.

      I sometimes feel intimidated by someone tailgating me and I check that my driving is ok. If I am within the speed limit then they have the problem. When I brake I look in the rear view mirror to check that they are also slowing down. If I feel that the driver behind me is going to do something stupid, and we are on a straight road, I will ease off the gas and let them go. I am basically making their decisions for them.

      If driving is becoming too stressful for you I suggest you contact a driving school and book some refresher lessons. You might find that helpful. Your mention of Expressways indicates that you may not be in the UK. Driving habits vary greatly throughout the world We have one or two Expressways in our city centres, so you might like to avoid them. If you are in the US you might not be able to avoid them.

      We have The Institute of Advanced Motorists, an organisation which promotes good driving habits. They can assess your driving with a trained instructor, who is often an ex police driver. You may have something similar where you are.

      Don't stress yourself out. Take short journeys so that you are familiar with the way to the supermarket. If driving is going to become too stressful it may be sensible to give up altogether. It will happen to me one day, but as I have been driving for more than 50 years I think I am good for a few more.

      Delete
    2. Martha from Canada here thanking you for your lovely and very useful reply. Yes, a driving refresher course might be just the thing to calm my nerves. I'll look into it. I'm having a great time catching up with your blog and videos…you are wonderfully prolific. Also Just returned from my evening walk … 4th day in a row. You are such an inspiration. My hubby underwent open heart surgery a month ago and although he had wonderful care in one of the top cardiac facilities in my country, it's a place I don't care to visit for myself if I can avoid it. Au revoir.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful, thank you for posting the photos ;). Unbelievably lovely. Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilogene. The model village was just perfect.

      Delete
  4. What super-duper pictures you have taken.lovley colours beautifull surroundings.fabulous that you met a reader who reads your blog that's awesome to hear.we have a daily peak into your life and thoughts and to meet a reader whilst on holiday because she recognised you must have been a bonus to a great holidayx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting people is a bonus when I am on my travels, whether they know me, or whether they are complete strangers.

      Delete
  5. These photos are so beautiful. You enjoy traveling your own country so much. It’s been a year this week since I’ve been in London and Cornwall. I’m from the Midwest in the states but I truly loved your country. Thank you for your photographic tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased you enjoyed your time here. Now I am on a mission to see as much of the UK as I can.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ilona,
    Thank you for the beautiful photos, I feel like I’ve been on a little holiday. Love your blog and read it every day. Fi from Australia 🇦🇺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing all this up makes me feel like I have done the holiday twice.

      Delete
  7. I saw you a while ago coming out of the black country museum I was driving past or I would have shouted hello I couldn’t believe it was you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish you had. I love that museum. I will always stop and talk to people.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.