Monday 6 May 2024

Lets go fishing

Have you ever been fishing? I did once when I was a little kiddo. I went with my brother and his friend to a nearby river. I got a fishing hook stuck in my thumb and had to go to hospital to have it taken out. Nasty things those barbs. That put me off for life. 
I met someone magnet fishing the other day. I was on the canal and came across a group of people chucking a rope into the water with a heavy weight on the end. I got talking to the woman, she was happy to tell me all about her hobby. They are a group from Tamworth, having a day out at Burton on Trent. It was interesting to discover what was going to be pulled out of the water next. She told me about some of the things they have found. 
Throw as far as you can.
Pull it in.

What have I caught.

Not much luck today. A few bits of scrap. 

It reminds me a bit of metal detecting. This is similar only it's on water. The group of people on the opposite bank seemed to be enjoying themselves. Good to see that the kids had life jackets on. One of them had fallen into the water and had to change his clothes. 
The Mercia Magnet Fishing group have 71 videos on yoootooob, You might like to take a look. I have heard about this hobby but never seen it in action. You could do it as a solo activity, or in a group. I quite fancy that, but I think I would get bored if I didn't find something exciting or valuable. 
Now I have the job of sorting the photo's out for the two days away. I went to a canal event at Burton, and then to Truckfest at Lincoln. Pics to come. Looks like a sunny day on this Bank Holiday Monday, I'll stay closer to home and have a local walk. The roads will be busy. 
Thanks for popping in. Catch ya later. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. It is odd that the canal authority isn't apparently keen on people magnet fishing..as removing rubbish is beneficial for boaters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does seem odd. CRT dredge the canals periodically, then have to dispose of the rubbish. Must cost them a lot of money.

      Delete
  2. Lee Mack did magnet fishing when he stood in for a poorly Bob Mortimer on the programme Gone Fishing, as he’s a vegan. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen that programme, but it makes sense that Lee was happy to do that.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.