Tuesday 7 May 2024

Shopping on the canal at Burton

My Saturday out. After nattering with the ladies magnet fishing, I went to the church where my Uncle Stan is buried to check in with him. Yes, I know he is not there, but Burton is a trip down memory lane for me. I called into a shop on Horninglow Road to say hello to someone who I knew at School. I was more friends with her sister, Celia, but I call in to get the news. The shop has been passed down through generations. They sell everything for the garden and pets. A real old fashioned shop. I bought a big bag of cat litter. Then I walked to another shop which is run by my cousin, to say hello there. I drove up the road to where I used to live with my mum and brother. The estate now is packed with cars. Really different to when we got the bus and walked everywhere. I drove past the flat where I used to live, it's still there, above the cafe. 
My main purpose of going to Burton was to visit the floating market on the canal. I pulled into Shobnall Marina and asked for directions to Shobnall Playing Fields where there is a big car park, close to the canal. Oooh, this looks exciting. 
Lovely sunny day for a stroll along the canal. Maybe pick up a bargain or two, or a treat. 


The smiley cheese lady. Yes, I couldn't resist it. 



I like this kind of market. What a nice life to trundle up and down the waterways, selling your wares. 
I waited till later on when there wasn't so many people about to make a short video. 

What did I buy? Tasty cheese of course. 
There are so many different flavours about these days, it's hard to keep track of what I have already tasted. This list will help. 

Check out the Cheese Boat Facebook page. Sue is one busy lady. 

This flowery hat caught my eye, got to have it. 
Cool eh! It was made for me. Check out Blue Adeline Crafts. Fantastic web site, she makes some lovely crafty things. 
Some of you may be wondering why I am suddenly spending money, when I have had a lifetime being frugal and penny pinching. Because I have always lived within my means and mostly bought what I need rather than what I want, I now find that I am no longer skint. Spending my money with independent traders is my way of paying back. We need to keep small businesses going. 
On with the story. Before I left Burton I wanted to take a look at my Grandma's house in the very small village of Dunstall. Grandma Blanche and Granddad Walter brought up four boys and one girl there. I used to spend my summer holidays there. I loved it and wish I could have stayed. Six weeks wasn't long enough. The freedom of roaming the countryside has stayed with me, hence the job I did, and the walking and travelling I do now. I am a country bumpkin at heart. 
The cottage is no longer a small cottage. It is going through a renovation which will double the size of it. I sat outside in my car for a few minutes remembering. I drove away with a heavy heart. Nothing stays the same. 
Saturday night I arrived at Lincoln Showground. They let me into the field parking area when everyone was leaving. I found a space along a hedge and bedded down for the night. 
Tomorrow is TRUCKFEST. 
We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona

9 comments:

  1. In the video you mention I think, one side of the bridge was for the trading boats and the other were for people who travel and I suppose vacation or some may live on their boats. If you are just traveling the canal for vacation do you have to make arrangements ahead? Or is it just dock where you like? Must be a very interesting way to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tammy. There are different types of moorings. Those who live on their boats, and many do, can stay at a Marina which is permanent for as long as you want it. Booked and paid for in advance. Some will over winter there, then cruise in the summer. There are moorings all along the canal system, but long stretches where mooring is not allowed. Houses and businesses have their own private moorings so cruisers cannot stay there. Some boaters are continual cruisers, they stop and go whenever they like. Some moorings are time restricted and will only allow 48 hours, then they have to move on. The Canal and River Trust, which many people join will have a list of where you can stop. Short term stops are free. Have a look for Cruising the Cut on yoootoob. David shares all his experiences of canal life.

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to add that if you don’t have a home mooring you have to move your boat every 14 days and you need to be on an onward journey and not simply moving backwards and fourth along the same stretch of canal. The Canal & River Trust monitors the movement of all boats who have a continuous cruising licence. On some stretches of canal particularly in popular areas you might only be able to moor up for anything from 24 -72 hours. Marina moorings can be extremely expensive. My boat is in a place with very few facilities but I’m more than happy with that.

      Delete
    3. Hi theboatgal. Thanks for that extra information.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely thing, a floating market! Like you, I try to spend my money at small shops and with independent traders. They need every support they can get - and they take cash only!
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilde. I am making the transition to support small businesses. I still go to Aldi because their prices are the best. I use a small branch close to home. Easy to nip in and out, I know where everything is, and I know the staff. No self service tills, I hate them.

      Delete
  3. Debi from Leicester.As I was unable to get there myself,it was lovely to watch your video!.Those cheeses look tasty.Ive never heard of the charcoal one before and would have loved to have had a taste of that.I had a walk around Burton a couple of weeks back as my Daughter had booked me and her an overnight stay in Tutbury.I much prefer the village life though!.We went to the Tutbury market and I treated my self to a hand painted stone with a peacock on it....I do love the peacocks there!.Your new hat looks great on you!.Im like you and would much rather buy something from an independent trader.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debi. The cheese lady had a selection of cheeses to test the taste. I don't bother with that because I will give anything a try. I didn't know Tutbury had a market. Small local markets are the way to go. Time to have a natter with the stall holders.

      Delete
    2. Debi from Leicester.Tutbury only has a market about 3 or 4 times a year.The Christmas one is usually the last Friday in November.The one we went to was Sunday the 28th April.They usually have one in the Summer as well and they are always very popular.They are always held in the High Street where the Dog n Partridge is...which is where we stayed for the night.Yes we also had a natter with some of the stall holders who are always very friendly.xx

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.