Sunday 16 June 2024

A look at Workington

One last post to finish off the Lakes trip. On my way from Whitehaven, heading north, I came across this church. Worth a look I thought, as I am passing. I was surprised to find half a dozen people inside. They had been celebrating King Charles's birthday. They very kindly offered me a cup of coffee and a biscuit. 
I had a chat and they said I could park up there for the night. Great, that will save me the job of looking for somewhere else, but I didn't feel comfortable because it was a bit isolated. I went a mile or so up the road but couldn't find anywhere suitable, so I turned round and went back to it. There was no gate so easy to just drive in. By this time the door was locked and they had all gone home. 





If you want to know how my night went, check out this video. Strange goings on in the churchyard. 
Next morning I arrived in Workington. I was pleased to find there is free parking at the Railway Station. 
I went a walkabout and took some photo's. 




Oh dear, this piece of rough ground had been neglected. It's close to the station. The bench is falling to pieces. 

A pile of rubbish visible to anyone passing this hotel. Looks like they had a refurb. 

Then it started raining, so I carried on to take a few more photo's. The Picture Theatre is now a Wetherspoons. 
A rather jazzy frontage on this restaurant. 

Can't remember what this building is. I was snapping away in a hurry. 

This looks well looked after. 

This is Workington Hall. Nature is claiming it back. Now there are rain spots on the camera lens. Time to give up. 


I went back to the car and set off heading back home. I stopped off at Grasmere to buy some famous gingerbread to share with the ladies at Crafty Club, and the Wednesday coffee morning. 
It was a long drive home. The traffic wasn't too bad apart from going through Kendal which was chocca. I landed back home at 8pm. 
It's been a nice day today, Sunday. I have been to the park. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

9 comments:

  1. Your photos are wonderful, you saw so many handsome buildings. How nice the church people offered for you to park there overnight. Famous gingerbread for you to share, sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The beauty of photographing digitally means you can delete a lot of the crappy ones. Did you watch the video to find out that I did not stop at the church the whole night?

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your trip away, thanks for taking us along for the ride.🦘🦘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am building up a catalogue of memories to look back on. I am happy to share them with you.

      Delete
  3. Your photos are great, as usual. I can always imagine being there, too, seeing the beautiful, and the interesting, and the not so nice things.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hilde. I am enjoying searching out something interesting to photograph. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh! I follow you on YouTube!! How wonderful! Fun to put a face with the name!
    I love your adventures!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to share all these wonderful photos! It’s such a treat to see them. I live in the states and have only been to England once. The villages were my favorite spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby. I have been to the States only three times. Unless one's priority in life is to travel at least we have the internet to look at how others live their lives. I like to put travel videos on full screen. It's the next best thing to actually being there.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.