Wednesday 14 January 2009

Frugal means freedom.

Judging by some of the posts on different forums I have been reading lately, there seems to be some confusion about why someone might live a frugal lifestyle. Although I am known as the Meanqueen of North Lincolnshire, the only reason I chose the name is because I want to buy things as cheaply as possible, though I would prefer not to buy things at all, and besides, it is rather a catchy name. I am also unmean, I raise money for animal charities, I help people walk dogs, and give my excess vegetables away. Tight is another word for mean, I am not that either, I call myself frugal.

But why do I have a frugal lifestyle, giving up what most people would think is normal to have, like central heating and television? The first answer is that if I don't spend money, I don't have to earn it, which gives me more time to do what I want to do. The second answer is that I save money in some areas of my life so that I can channel it into things that are important to me. And the third answer is that I want to reduce my impact on the planet, to rob the earth of it's resources, in my mind, is criminal. I am frugal for all these reasons. I have a car because I like the freedom it gives me, but I keep my journeys to a minimum. I have the internet because it is my entertainment and a learning tool. Television is a big waste of time, and I can keep my body perfectly clean in a couple of bowlfulls of hot water.

I took these photographs today as an illustration of a frugal life. It was a lovely sunny day and I went for a walk across the hills, through the woods, and around the fishing pond, how fantastic is that, and it was free. What did you do this Wednesday afternoon?

3 comments:

  1. Hi meanqueen (hope it's ok to use your nickname) I just wanted to say that I saw your show and did feel they probably edited out alot. I respect your desired to be greener and have less impact on the planet definately and even paying less for food, lots of people are realising that the yellow stickers are a good thing now. My only wish for you is that one day your heating does get fixed so that you do at least have the option of putting the heat on occasionally if you so wish! You enjoy your life and I am sure many will benefit from your tips, I am now a follower too! Hopefully you might see my blog, you never know maybe there's something in there to add to your repertoire ;o) I hope one day to have a better life/work balance, but for now, will cut back on as many items as I can...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SGist, Yes they did edit a lot out, I have had to put a few people right about my state of mind, someone called me a weirdo which I am not. I get a feeling that our lifestyles are going to go full circle, and I am best placed to deal with there being no shops, no work, and no money. Just wait for people to sit up and take notice then! Doom and gloom, I am ready for it.

    Thanks for your comments, I shall look at your blog. Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent, excellent post...such a great reminder that living is the important part, not earning a a living.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.