Saturday 29 January 2011

Edale and beyond

Edale Youth Hostel is not in Edale, it's about a mile away at Rowland Cote near Nether Booth. I arrived at 10.30 am and set off at 11am through a stile and across a bridge over a stream, heading towards Clough Farm. Skirting round the edge of Nether Moor, reaching Jaggers Clough, no sign of Mick though, groan, ha ha.

The weather was damp and heavy mist, it wasn't long before I had to put on my waterproof overtrousers. These signs are everywhere, lots of interesting information to be had.
On I rambled towards Haggwater Bridge, crossing the stream.

I crossed the main A57 known as the snake road, past Hagg Farm, an activity centre, then turned left to Rowlee Farm.

Some of the footpaths were heavy going, they were so eroded that the path was often three feet lower than the rest of the land. Stumbling over rocks of various sizes was no fun.

There was a lot of tyre tracks and hoof marks, I don't know how horses manage, clever horses. At one point a quad bike rider appeared dressed in full waterproof gear and helmet, he wasn't racing so probably a farmer inspecting his stock. I need some crampons here.

I was coming down this bit of tarmac road towards a farm when two farm hands opened the gate and out poured a couple of hundred sheep, spilling onto the hills. I stood aside out of the way, didn't want to get bowled over, ha ha.

This little bridge is called Rowlee Bridge. I came from the right in the picture, and sat on the low wall for a sandwich nibble. It was a bit windy so it was a case of back to the wind and hood up. I found very few places to rest awhile and get out of the weather.

I came back to Haggwater Bridge, through Blackley Hey Wood, and continued along the old Roman Road. I was intending to take a path on the right to bring me down onto the road, but somehow I missed it, and carried on along the ridge to Fulwood Stile Farm. The scenery was very nice, but I kept looking down to the road on my right and couldn't see a way down.

When I got down to the road I had gone a lot further than I intended, almost to Hope, and time was running out. The safest option was to walk back along the road to the hostel. I had no lights or torch with me so I let my red scarf dangle front and back, hoping that would be enough warning to traffic not to run me over.

At last I was coming up the drive to the hostel, the light was disappearing over the horizon.

What a welcoming sight, the glow of the hostel lights. Now what shall I have for dinner. I just fancy a tin of hot potato and leek soup, with some sprouts and carrots that I cooked last night at home. Warmed up and eaten out of the saucepan, just like home from home, ha ha.

The evening was spent in the lounge, reading magazines, and planning the next days walk. I sat on a big comfy sofa next to the heater, bliss, and started to fall asleep at 8.30pm. The feelgood factor I get at the end of a hard days walking is well worth it, I sleep like a baby.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad the quad bike appeared to be just a farmer... there are a few campaigns across the Peak at the moment to stop motorbikes ruining the land in several places.

    The hostel looks nice and I have enjoyed seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ilona :)

    I do read quite often, but don't know that I've commented before (bad me! lol). Although I may never be as frugal as yourself, I do enjoy reading your posts and thoroughly enjoy coming along on your 'wanders'.

    I don't know if you have seen this site before: http://www.recyclart.org/ - but every time I have a look (now have the RSS feed) I think how you would probably enjoy it. Some of the ideas are rather far fetched, but some are truly ingenious, useful and fun.

    Take care~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me what's nearly on my doorstep. I really should get my mountain bike out of from its cosy shed and revisit some of the Peak District bridleways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures! These kind of walks do wonders for the soul! May you enjoy many more!
    Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kadeeae, thank you for your comment. I had a look at the site you mentioned, very interesting indeed. Some good ideas there for recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed the walk and photos:) Many thanks for sharing Ilona xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finished reading 2010 and enjoyed that read immensely. So here I am starting 2011 and the strangest thing has happened. I'm looking at pictures and reading about the Edale walk, when I come to the picture of the bridge at Jacobs ladder. I started to cry. I have never, in my life, had a reaction to a picture like that! What on earth? I can't, for the life of me, understand why I would do that!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.