Tuesday 9 September 2014

Day 2. Pateley Bridge to Malham

Hello. I've walked a long way today, 19.5 miles. I've got my feet up, they need a rest. It was a shorts day, nice and warm, a bit overcast at times, but also a lot of sun. So where am I tonight? I set off with Malham in mind, and I made it. A cheapo night at the Youth Hostel, £17 for B & B. There is another lady in my room, who also likes to walk on her own. We've had a natter, now she is doing the crossword in her newspaper. We are sitting in the lounge area near the reception desk. We were in the large lounge but there was a lot of noisy people in there. so we moved out. 
This is the B & B I stayed in last night. I left after a hearty breakfast, at 9.15am. The owners two black labradors were waiting patiently to be taken out for a walk. 
A couple of shots of Pateley Bridge before I leave. This little seating area is in the High Street.


I went over the river bridge and climbed the hill past the pub. Then I took a track which went uphill for ages. Boy was it steep, in fact I have been up and down hills all day. It's hard work carrying a heavy rucksack.

This was a very quiet tarmac track, only people who live at the houses dotted along the way come up here. 
The bins are all placed at the top of this road and people have to bring their rubbish up because the refuse lorries don't go down the lane.

As you can see by the church clock, it was 11.20am when I got to Greenhow.

I wanted to cover some miles today so I got back on the road, the most direct route. This pretty scene is when I was just coming into Hebden.

Just up the road is a hotel, and next to that is a haulage company. I saw this in the yard, and couldn't resist sneaking in to take a picture. These lorries are often seen at the truck shows as the drivers like to show them off.  Oh boy was I drooling. This is a Volvo FH, the same model as I used to drive for B & Q.  
 Made it to Grassington. I sat down for a break, didn't stay too long. I have been here before, it was an overnight stop on a previous long walk. I was hoping for a bus to come along, but there wasn't any going in my direction. They seem to go up and down, but not across. Nothing for it but to carry on walking, as it's too early to stop.


I stayed on the road to Threshfield, then took a path towards Threshfield Moor. This is where I come off the track.

Over the moor, some lovely views. It's a little bit hazy in the distance. There was a couple of these upright stones, not sure if they mean anything other than marking the route. 
Just me on my own, not a soul in sight. Fantastic.


I made a bit of a cock up with the last part of the route. At one point I lost the path over a particularly boggy stretch of moor. It is very difficult to follow footprints over this type of terrain because everyone makes it up as they go along. At one point I became completely disorientated, I really should learn how to use a compass. I found myself back at a farm I had passed through half an hour earlier, I don't know how I did it. The farmer sent me off on the right track. 
I arrived at Malham Youth Hostel at 6.45pm, and booked myself in, 
They have these two camping pods if you wish to sleep in one. Several hostels have these now. 
Tomorrow I'm going to walk to Settle. I have walked the route before so shouldn't get lost. In Settle I shall be looking for a bus to get me further on, Maybe Kendal would be good. At this rate by the time I get to the Lakes it will be time to come back. Mind you I could probably do the whole trip back on buses if I go a bit further south through the bigger towns.

My room mate has gone to the room so I'd better sign off now. Don't want to disturb her by being late back.
Toodlepip.

24 comments:

  1. I love looking at all your photos! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting pictures, and I love the B & B....looks so inviting. Take care of those tootsies, walking all that ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done well today - that's a long walk! How beautiful though. Do people know how lucky they are to live in places like this? I hope so. Good luck for tomorrow, I hope you have a good day.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love going on a walk with you.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ilona, for another day of sight-seeing. I do look forward every day for your posts. Keep safe!
    Ann in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ilona, You've had a long, tiring walk today but went through some beautiful scenery. I loved Pateley Bridge. I hope that you can get a bus tomorrow. I'm following along with you on my Google Map. England is really lovely. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoyed the report of your day Ilona, lovely pictures.
    Good for you walking so far.
    Take care of yourself.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Malham is a lovely village, we go there now and again and the author Bill Bryson used to live there. Dont forget to have a look at the cove while you are there.
    The trucks are nice but i couldn't be doing with polishing them all the time. I bet the B&Q motors didn't have bullbars and spotlights.
    Happy wanderings.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good journeying! You've been very lucky with the weather, hope it keeps fine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ilona you are doing what I want to do a bus pass break. Good for you.
    I know you post sometimes on Mse Martin Lewis site thee is an article in the free email I get saying from this Thursday to Sunday national heritage are doing free open days. I haven't read it properly yet but it looks good
    We have lots of old country houses around here in Northumberland I want to visit but without a pass from national heritage or the national trust it can be pricy. I will look into joining shortly as I do love old buildings and of course it helps with the upkeep.
    Hope that's helpful to you and others reading this. Stay safe and looking forward to your next

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those camping pods look interesting. I remember walking past Malham YH and thinking it looked like a nice place to stay. We do our annual walk to the coves during the summer holidays count the steps and have a picnic at the top. That truck is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 19.5 miles is amazing going...who needs buses? Those views are fantastic...but I know hwat you mean about a compass. My husband insists we take one, ever since I got us lost in the rain in a Welsh bog. You can laugh at it later, but at the time, it's not funny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you gel.......you're my evening star.

    Metta

    ReplyDelete
  14. another fabulous day, 19.5 miles ! go you !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really enjoying this, going on holiday by proxy. Love your photos, and already looking forward to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos, Ilona, but I do think you are very brave travelling alone. I'm too much of a wuss! I'd be scared of getting lost when dusk fell or falling into a bog, and I need to know where I am sleeping well in advance of bedtime!! Thank you for sharing your journey. Hope the good weather holds out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photographs of the open countryside, you get a sense of real freedom. Enjoy your adventures. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photo going into Hebden is so serene...

    ReplyDelete
  19. John from Chester-le-Street10 September 2014 at 21:53

    It seems amazing to me that all the places you visited looked so nice - and 19.5 miles is such an achievement becuase I walked 15 miles last week with the Ramblers and felt absolutely shattered for the next few days! I think I must get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to walk with you via your wonderful photos, no way could I walk 19.5 miles, you are amazing:) Looking forward to day three. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely pics! I`ve been to Hebden once. A wonderful old place!
    I`m glad you didn`t get completely lost on the moors. Can`t wait to see what you get up to next.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hiya! I manage the Nidderdale Facebook page. Would I be able to feature two of your High Street pictures with credit? Thank you!
    Mickey Abaygar
    mommickey2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.