Wednesday 10 September 2014

Day 3. A walk and three bus rides to Windermere

Hello. Guess where I am tonight. I made it to Windermere Youth Hostel. This one is a couple of miles outside Windermere, up a long lane from Troutbeck Bridge. I arrived by bus. Today I started off walking out of Malham, up a long steep climb towards Settle. It was slow going, I had to keep stopping to catch my breath. The weather has been warm and sunny for most of the day. I have picked the right week for my hols. This first pic is of the hotel next to the hostel, I bet it costs a lot to stay there, I bet I got the best deal at the hostel, ha ha. 
The little beck that runs through Malham. Someone asked in a comment if I went to Malham Cove. No I didn't because I have seen it before. I didn't go to Malham Tarn or the waterfall at Janets Foss either, I have seen them also.


I am heading past that barn towards those hills in the distance. It was a very long steep climb up there. Good exercise.

Looking back, breathtaking views of Malham.
After a long hard slog, where I had to keep stopping to take a breather, I arrived in Settle. Lots of lovely little stone cottages here, on narrow cobble stone streets.

This impressive building is a museum.

My plan was to carry on walking to Ingleton, or get a bus to Kendal. I went to the station to see if there were any trains, there was, but they weren't going where I wanted to go. I have always wanted to go on the Settle Carlisle railway, but not today. Maybe one day I will.


I went to the Tourist Information Office to ask about bus times. They were are closed on a Wednesday afternoon. That's not much use to anyone. I asked a local woman about buses, she didn't know but suggested I have a look at the timetable on the bus stop. Lo and behold there was a bus standing waiting. A stroke of luck, the driver was going to Kirkby Lonsdale, and he said I could get a Kendal bus and then a Windermere bus. I had to wait a long time for the Kendal bus though I had an hour and a half to kill and went for a walk round Kirby Lonsdale.

It's a nice little touristy town. Here are a few snaps.


There are only two main stems growing out between the cracks at the bottom of the house, which produce all this foliage. Amazing how much of the building is covered. 


This house had a lovely view across the river, and immaculate gardens.

There is a very nice walk along the river, with good footpaths, there was a lot of people about. 

This is Devil's Bridge.

I thought this would make a lovely picture. An elderly couple strolling along arm in arm. deep in conversation. I wonder how long they have been married.

The bus to Kendall was late, it got in with five minutes to spare between the Windermere bus going out. That bus was also late, and when it came in we had to wait while they changed over drivers. With all the rush to get on the buses I forgot to take their photo's.

So here I am sitting in an arm chair, I am not sure I can get out of it. Although I have only walked seven miles today, my leg muscles are stiffening up. It's better if I keep walking then they stay supple.

My room mate is a young lady from Canada. What I .like about hostels is that you meet all kinds of people. Breakfast is ordered, I had a plate of chips tonight, I couldn't eat them all so I have put them into a bread bag to eat tomorrow. I'm getting tired now so I'll sign off. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
Toodle pip

12 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blogs about all the wanderings. You certainly picked a good week. Sun shines on the righteous, lol ! Take care and pace yourself. I am the same age as you Ilona and your fitness amazes me. I am going to bed now ...keep doing my knitting wrong. So it's time. Night night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what another lovely day, I so enjoyed your pictures. Thank you.
    You are covering a lot of ground.
    I have a map of the UK on my wall, so I follow along when you are on your travels.
    Makes me want to take a trip to the UK, I was last there in 2004, so its about time.
    My son surprised me last week, he used air miles to book a last minute trip to the UK to attend his cousins wedding. He left Friday evening and was back on Monday evening. He said it was too short, but could not get more time off of work. He said how expensive everything is compared to the US.
    But he loved it.
    Looking forward to your post tomorrow, wonder where you will be.
    Take care,
    Love from Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous looking places..and thanks for sharing them with us. It's like being on the walk with you...without the aches!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Margie in Toronto - wonderful photos and yes, you certainly chose the perfect week weatherwise! That was some steep climb - no wonder you are feeling a bit sore.
    I made it to Windermere once many years ago and it was beautiful - hope you have a lovely time there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilona, you have had quite a trip, and your pictures are stunning. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, I love this area. I used to live in Lazonby, which is on the settle-Carlisle line. If you have the time and inclination there's a wonderful open air swimming pool there, next to the river Eden. I used to serve in the kiosk, as a volunteer. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I was there...you seem to be having a fabulous time, and what great weather. Lovely pictures, I am enjoying your trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a beautiful part of the country! I imagine YH people are more down to earth and friendly. Do you ever see families in YHostels? Are they child friendly? I like the picture of the old couple and am wondering why the bridge is called Devil's bridge. I am going to try and find out. Will let you know if I come up with anything. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved Windermere when we traveled there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Wow you've put up a picture of my parents house (lovely view and immaculate gardens) My mum will be thrilled to bits that you thought her garden immaculate, she spends HOURS out there! One of the first things to happen when I arrive for a stay is a tour around the garden. Never expected to see that today!

    (Sorry don't usually write comments)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some really stunning building pics! I`ve been to Windermere and the surrounding areas. A lovely part of Britain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I'm really enjoying your updates and your adventures....hope you're having fun x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.