Monday 8 September 2014

Day 1. Five buses to Pateley Bridge

Hello there. Reporting in on day 1 of my bus pass trip. It was a sunny start to the day. I haven't done any walking today, just sat on my bum on five different buses. My goodness, the state of some of the roads is awful, shakes the buses to bits. It's so uncomfortable. I shouldn't moan because it's free travel, but at what price, a bad back or feeling sick maybe. I was glad to get off the last one.
So, the first bus was a 55, it took me a few miles to the next village. It was a little sixteen seater and quite nice. 
Then I picked up the Fastcat service number 350, to Hull, arriving at 11.15am.

At the bus station I went to the information centre to check the bus times to York. It's a massive bus station so it was easier to ask someone behind a counter for information. There was a choice of two, they take different routes, so I chose the service X4 which was slightly quicker, leaving Hull at 11.45am.

 I arrived in York at 1.40pm. and got off at the railway station. There isn't a bus station in York, there are several different places where buses arrive and leave from. Finding the next bus is a nightmare, there are stands outside the train station which I studied the timetables but everything seemed to be in code. I wanted to go to Harrogate, but the stand for that was 20 mins walk away in another street. I decided to go there, and then I changed my mind and went back to the station to get the bus to Wetherby instead. I took a few pics along the way.

York was so busy with tourists I didn't want to stay too long, so it suited me to get a bus quickly and get the hell out of there. I've seen it all before anyway. Must have been my fastest trip around York ever.

Back to the railway station and along comes the Wetherby bus. Low and behold it goes on to Harrogate as well. That's lucky. The young whippersnapper of a driver was scooting along. We left at 2.25pm, was in and out of Wetherby at 3.05pm, and landed in Harrogate at 3.30pm.

Now I was thinking I might only have time for one more bus ride, I walked along the 13 stands in the bus station to see where the buses were all heading and thought Pateley Bridge would be a good place to get to for the night. I had just missed one and the next one was in an hour, so I had a little walkabout and took a few pics. Lots of interesting architecture like this.

There are masses of flowers out everywhere. 


There are a few yellow bicycles still about after the Tour de France. This one is at the front of the library.

And here we have the world famous Betty's Tea Rooms. I have never been in there, bet it's pricey,  haven't time today.
Lovely flower displays.

I got back to the bus station and there was some confusion as to which stand the bus would come in at. Apparently they pinch each others parking spaces, this is normal, so you have to look for your bus. We left at 4.45pm.

Arriving in Pateley Bridge at 5.40pm, I popped into a Spar shop to get some food for a picnic in my room,, when I find one. I had a walk around and asked a couple of people where I should look. One place wanted £75, far too much. A couple of places said £55, so I guessed that was normal for this area. I have a cosy room at Talbot House, in the High Street.

Tomorrow will be a walking day, as there are no buses going in my direction, so I'm about to get the maps out and plot a route. Breakfast is at eight. Now I'll make myself a mug of hot chocolate. This is the life eh!
Toodle pip.

26 comments:

  1. Lovely pics! Look forward to following your walk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fond memories of me and my gothic mates walking the streets of Pately Bridge as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall be accompanying you in spirit and enjoying your adventures vicariously. Places look good today, I'd love to be one of those tourists and visit York (at a quiet time though). Hope you have fun tomorrow!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos, I've never heard of Pately Bridge:( Checked out Talbot House and it's looks really lovely:) Looking forward to the rest of your trip. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your title Five Buses to Pateley Bridge, would make a great book title, when you write up your travels...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Ilona, a different kind of travelling day for you.
    Nice to see all your pictures, thanks so much.
    The hotel where you are staying tonight looks very nice.
    Looking forward to the rest of your travels and news.
    Sleep tight.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't Janet Street Porter live at Pately Bridge? Never been to Harrogate before and it looks beautiful. Have a good time, I look forward to reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must make an effort to look round Harrogate, I've driven through (when lost) but never had a walk round x

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting, I can't wait to read where you end up. £75?! That is steep, we didn't pay that in London. £55 is more like it, at least you are travelling for free. Have a great time, looks like the weather is going to be good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just realised you live in our favorite part of this country , we love yorkshire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I live in North Lincolnshire, which is just next door to Yorkshire. Yes, I love Yorkshire too.

      Delete
  11. That is just so brilliant. Hop on a bus and go on an adventure! And I can't get over the beauty of your neck go the woods - the architecture, the gardens, the flowers. Sooo jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pics. If you get the chance to go back to Pateley Bridge try the butchers up the road he does the most amazing pork pies. Enjoy your trip

    Sue R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forget Sue. I don't eat meat, but maybe someone else would like to go there.

      Delete
  13. I bet you would've preferred to drive the buses.
    Harrogate is a lovely place but you wouldn't want to drink the spa water.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of not having a specific destination but going wherever sounds good in the moment! I also love the idea of free bus travel for seniors. I would dearly love to do what you are doing but it would be expensive for me. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos, x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really going to enjoy traveling along with you. Best of luck. Jan F

    ReplyDelete
  17. AS EVER, MANY THANKS FOR TAKING US ALONG WITH YOU.
    LOOKED UP PRICE OF AFTERNOON AT BETTY'S - £18.50
    OR YOU COULD HAVE A TEA CAKE FOR £2.60
    HOPE I HAVENT MADE YOU COME OVER ALL FAINT!
    GRANNY Gxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The buss pass tour looks great so far Ilona! I visited Harrogate and York over the summer and both were lovely. Hope u have a fantastic time, look forward to reading about the rest of it,xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely clear pictures Ilona, you are right about Bettys, so very expensive for all their food, they have a restuarant in the Arburetumn near Harrogate and people queue up for ages to eat there, the gardens there are lovely and there is a cheaper cafe and lots of picnic areas, I love visiting Harlow Carr at different times of the seasons, always something different to see there. Enjoy your bus journeys Danneke

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun trip! York looks great...with the tourists and cars chopped out! Hope bus passes still exist, when I qualify. Hasn't the price of B&B shot up; does the price include a premium for single people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte. If a single person occupies a double or twin room there is s slight reduction from the two person price. It is never half the price which I think it should be.

      Delete
  21. John from Chester-le-Street9 September 2014 at 22:03

    Looks interesting- Patley Bridge is a nice place. When I visited in 2006, I remember visiting a sweet shop calling itself the oldest in Britain - unsure if it is still there now. Are you planning to go as far north as my town, the legendary Chester-le-Street? I have just discovered your blog which certainly makes for a very entertaining read, makes me want to start one myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, and welcome. Sorry I won't be coming to your neck of the woods on this trip. Maybe sometime in the future. Yes, do start a blog. It's great fun.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.