Thursday 11 September 2014

Day 4. Checking in at Ambleside and a bimble round Grasmere

Hello, I've had a belting day today. Done some walking and clambering or should I say staggering,  over rocks, been on a bus ride, and sat and watched the boats on Windermere.  I've met some lovely people as well. This is Windermere Hostel I left this morning. The assistant had rung on ahead to Ambleside to get me in there for two nights.  
There is a terrace out the back, and this is the beautiful view as you sit outside in the sunshine. It was warm enough for people to have their breakfast out there this morning.
I set off up the hill from the hostel, this is the view coming into Town End. Just a few big houses on the side of the hill.

Lots of blackberries about here, just ripe for picking. They are all gone back at home.

I took a track off to the left called Skelghyll Lane. Looking down on Lake Windermere below, there is a white speck on the water, that's the ferry boat. 
The track then goes into the woods as it heads downhill towards Ambleside. A couple caught up with me, they were walking their two small dogs. I thought it was a bit odd that the man was pushing a buggy over the rough ground, and it was empty. Then I caught on what was happening. One of the dogs was a bit elderly and couldn't walk the whole distance, so the buggy was for him when he got too tired to walk any further. Doesn't he look a sweetheart. He was a bit dirty and smelly because he had rolled in a cow pat. I meet such nice people when I am out walking.

And this my friends, is Ambleside Youth Hostel. Amazing isn't it. On the edge of the lake it has it's own private seating area. I booked in and was able to off load some of the weight out of my rucksack. Then I went for a bimble.

Quite a few holiday makers were out in the sunshine. The boats were doing a good trade.


I sat for a while and enjoyed people watching.


Then a bus came and I decided to hop on it and go to Grasmere. Now what are these people queuing for? Gingerbread of course. This is what I have come for. It's lipsmackin good. 
They were very busy, the ladies were serving non stop. 
 A little bimble round Grasmere.

This hotel sign made me smile. It is usual to put 'No Vacancies' up when all the rooms are full, not 'Choc a block', ha ha.

After treating myself to a chocolate and caramel magnum, my fave ice cream, I had a look at the map and decided to make a short walk up Easedale Road, to Easedale Tarn. Along the road, a young lady asked me the way. Claire and her father were also going up there, they weren't sure of the way so we all walked along together.

We are heading up there, the path is just to the left of the water. 
I am a bit ahead, there they are coming up behind me.

 We kept going and I turned and took another photo of the valley. Isn't it beautiful.

We are getting there. The water from the Tarn is overflowing down the rocks.

Not far now, we seemed to be going on forever, will we ever get to the top.
Fantastic view down below now.

 At last, we've found it. We met a few people going back down, but there's not many left up here.

It's so peaceful and quiet. Well worth the climb and all the sweating. My legs are still a bit sore.

Here are my new friends, looking at their photo's. It's a coincidence that they are staying at the same hostel as me. The young lady is going off to university in London soon, and her parents have come over to spend a holiday with her. It was lovely to have their company. I'm not sure they would have done the whole distance if I hadn't been encouraging them to continue. But when we all got to the top, they agreed that the challenge had been worth it. Father made me laugh, he asked if I had been in the army. 

I checked the times of the buses back, and realized that we would have to quicken our pace going  down. If we missed one bus it would be an hour to the next one. I ran ahead to catch the bus and ask the driver to wait a few minutes. The passengers were boarding, I was about to ask the driver, when my two friends appeared. That was lucky. YAY,  we just made the bus by a few seconds.

This is the view from my window tonight. I am on the third floor. Good eh! And all for £38 for two nights B & B.

I'll sign off now and say goodnight. I think I have the room to myself, that's if no one has turned up in the last couple of hours. Catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip.

22 comments:

  1. Well done you. I can't believe the view from your room and what a bargain! You look glowing in that last picture, you don't look like you've just done a climb. Hope your feet are doing ok this time. Wish I was there, I love the Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your photos, Ilona - thank you so much for sharing them with us whilst you are on your travels. It's been years since I was in the Lake District - about 19 years, in fact, but I love it! Shall have to get back there again before too long xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day and what a fantastic deal on the hostel price! Hope the rest of the trip continues to be so successful. Jan F

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going along on your trips. Gorgeous weather you are having! I really enjoy all the pictures and the captions/descriptions. Could you add pics of the places you stay? Would like to see the insides of the hostels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! The gingerbread shop is still in the exact same spot as it was in 1995 when I purchased a slice!
    Ann in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic day, Ilona! Beautiful weather and beautiful pictures. The Ambleside Youth Hostel is gorgeous. Did you eat the gingerbread or are you saving it until you return home? I would love to visit that part of England some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for taking us along on your travels Ilona.
    I am loving the journey, I can feel the peace and serenity from your photos.
    I have never been to the Lakes, but I feel I have now.
    Enjoy your day tomorrow.
    Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there from Alabama! I found your blog the other day and I love it. You have such great tips and your trip photos are beautiful. I especially loved your video with the sound of the owls. I almost could imagine being there. I've been eagerly following your daily progress on your holiday. Such lovely landscape. Really wish I could be there. Thanks so much for sharing! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous countryside pics! How lucky you are with the weather as well. Enjoy the rest of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving your trip. Loving your spirit of adventure. As an over planner I admire anyone who can take to the open road without a spreadsheet and an emergency parachute. It must be all that lorry driving. The open road brings no fear, just a sense of a world out there to be discovered at your leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely holiday..you could hardly have had more perfect weather. Isn't it nice to see people taking trouble to ensure their elderly pets can still have a good quality of life?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely scenery, and what lovely weather, Magnums are my favourite too, we all need a treat now and then, x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures!!
    I so want to visit your country. What have been your favorite trips?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that area! Thanks for the photos. I always get the gingerbread on my trips and I can also order it here in the US and they will ship it! You are in one of the most beautiful areas in England.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm enjoying the fall colors in the landscape! You seem to have arrived there at the best time for weather, temperature and scenery. Stay safe - I'm glad you found some people to walk with.
    Anne In Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  16. Danneke looking in. What a lovely holiday you are having on your bus pass and I love all the wonderful pictures you are sharing with us. Last time I went to the "LAKES" I visited the Beatrice Potter house and museum,, still a child at heart I suppose. Nice to see some good hostels about and not like many many years ago when they were wooden type sheds. ,That gives my age away hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that part of the country. Been on that ferry too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is your best day yet Ilona
    You've met some lovely people. I love the dog in the pushchair. Reminds me of my late parents when their little dog got old the converted an old shopping trolley for her. They padded it out so she could see out. Didn't give a hoot that people laughed at them they took her everywhere in that

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great walk - stunning scenery! I've never been to the Lake District, but I'd love to do lots of walks up there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Breathtaking photos♥ It's been over 30 years since I was in the Lake District:( It was wonderful to take a trip down memory lane thanks to your posts:) Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to think it strange that folks had buggies and trolleys for their dogs, now I completely understand the logic behind it and I applaud them their caring. One day my pugs will no doubt be reclining in buggies while I stagger along the prom pushing them :-)

    Brilliant photos, you make me homesick for Cumbria, it's my favourite place in the world, I lived there for twenty odd years.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.