Saturday 7 May 2022

Thrifty OAP

This video is still floating around the yoootooob. It happened a few years ago, probably a lot of years ago. I remember a car and a van with four people coming to my house early one morning. I had to get up at 4am to make sure everything was in place for their arrival. The morning programme goes out early and we were live on it. All that prepping and it was over in a few minutes. I must say Katy Rickets was a lovely lady. 
I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a researcher for a TV programme about money saving. Now that it is of vital importance that people are aware of the price increases of just about everything, it is a strong talking point again. 
We chatted on the phone, she asked me a lot of questions. Towards the end of the conversation she asked if I was on any benefits, like pension credits. I said no, I am not. She said she would have to consult with her producer, because the programme was to include people on benefits who are struggling to manage financially. 
I don't come into that category, and I am not struggling to pay my bills. After all these years of being frugal and scrimping my way through life, I am at last in a good place. To look at my house you wouldn't think I was happy with my lot. The place hasn't been updated in many years. There are jobs that need doing. It could be improved with some modernising, and no doubt the next people to buy it will most likely rip it apart and start again. 
The house has everything I need, it has all the basics, and is in a nice village. I don't want to live in a showhouse, this is comfortable enough for me. 
The researcher didn't ring me back, which is a good thing. I know I have a lot of experience of living within my means. I have come through the sausage machine and out the other side. Now I am in a better place. All I could have said if I had been invited onto the programme was, it's all about priorities. It's knowing the difference between a need and a want. A lot of the money saving tips I have talked about in the past are common sense. They are not tricks, there is no magic wand. You stretch things out to last longer. You don't throw things away, you get maximum use out of them. If you think you need something, you probably don't. 
My utilities company has asked for a meter reading, so I expect a horror bill will drop through my door in a few days time. I have money to pay for it, whatever it is. 
Thanks for popping in. Have a nice weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona

12 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this at the time and I remember tuning into BBC radio 2, just to hear you being interviewed by Vanessa Feltz. 😄
    The information you share should be common sense, but unfortunately, to a lot of people, it isn't. You inspire many of us to stay on the right track with our spending and saving. Thanks ilona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa was standing in for someone else.

      Delete
  2. This was the first time I saw you Ilona when the lady visited you at home.ibthought you were fascinating and I still love all your videos lol.i love to see your car camping and how resourceful you are lolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun thing to do. The neighbours wondered what was happening. The van they came in was a mini radio station. I sat in it and watched myself at the end of the interview.

      Delete
  3. There was something on the internet a while ago, a couple with children earning £50k a year and on working tax credit (or whatever it is called these days). Sorry this may sound harsh but if you earn that much and need to claim benefits then time to sort your life out. Also watched a budget programme on tv the other day and a couple's income was £3k and in debt! Got hubby's payslip the other week for the end of the tax year, just under £17k and we don't claim any benefits or get help with anything and we manage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great video! You're my kind of gal! There's so much wisdom to this lifestyle philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. I like the title 'gal' Better than old woman ;o)

      Delete
  5. Seen this video 😊 and your other video ilona where your hanging your washing on the line! We need morèee like u meanqueen👑✨. .
    Best wishes Levi xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the presenter was too keen on your sprout curry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you still have relevant information. The question is will people listen?

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.