Wednesday 15 June 2022

Late start to a walk

I was late setting off yesterday. There is a large area between Huddersfield and Barnsley to explore. It takes just over an hour to get there. I spent £25 on petrol, and noticed that the gauge was at the same place as when I started out. So that little trip was quite costly. At £1.88 per litre, every trip is going to be costly from now on. Mind you I might have to modify my driving and not keep up to the 70mph speed limit. A drop to 55 / 60 would probably be more economical. My car has a smaller engine so should be economical anyway, that's if I don't put my foot flat to the floor. 
I noticed that there wasn't many cars on the motorway, quite a lot of lorries though. On the way home later there were more cars, probably going home from work. I took the M180, M18, M62 across to Leeds, and the M1 south to junction 39. The A636 and the A637 took me to Flockton. I looked for a parking place but the road through it is very busy. Other drivers don't appreciate someone slowing down and checking out possible parking places. I gave up and took a quiet minor road to Emley. More luck there, there wasn't much traffic. A wide side road was suitable. I walked up the main street to the church. A good place to start a walk. 

It looked quite simple and basic inside. Nothing fancy but well cared for. Money has been spent on a new kitchen and the wooden ceiling looked like it has had a good coat of varnish. 
A lot of churches are going down this route now. Using the building as a drop in centre, for local meetings. Tables and chairs were set out cafe style. 
Over on the horizon is Emley Moor transmitting station. It is a telecommunications and broadcasting facility. Here is some information about it. If you want to take a look at it, watch the BBC weatherman go up in the lift to the top. The mast on the left was put up as a temporary measure for five years so they could work on the main mast. 

The rolling hills in this area give some nice views.
 
I set off down a track heading for Flockton. Lots of stone cottages nestling in the hollows. 
The post box at Flockton has a Royal theme to it. 
An abundance of flowers at the gate of a long driveway to a private house. 
Here is a little video I made at Emley Church. It was 3pm, no time to dawdle, must get that walk done. 
I have a few more photo's coming up in part two. The cats want my attention now, so we'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.   ilona 

5 comments:

  1. The tree was so interesting. Hubby looked it up and that lump on the tree is called a Burl and those are worth a lot of money. If you google burl furniture you will be gobsmacked as you say at the prices. The pictures are lovely and the day looks nice. I love your new to you visor mother!!! Thank you for taking us a long. Your trips will be my only chance to see the UK. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking of burls, watch Scott o Connor making wall art from them. He slices into them with a chainsaw and makes amazing pieces of art.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV33JHUE86k&t=4s

      Delete
    2. Wow!!! What talent he has. Absolutely gorgeous wood work.

      Delete
  2. Lovely place. Those older stone rowhouses are precious with loads of history. That's what I love about your country compared to the USA. Buildings are so much older with more history. Blessings to you...Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cottage in the countryside would be my ideal place to live.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.