Saturday 16 July 2022

Let them eat cake

It's a little bit warm today. It was warm when I went to the Bowls Club this morning. I made an effort and dressed up a bit. Nothing spectacular, just a bit more colour than usual. Someone commented on my snazzy golfing shorts and odd socks. I often wear odd socks, it makes people smile. 
I paid my £1 at the gate, bought some raffle tickets, picked up a cup of coffee from the kitchen serving hatch, and after saying hello to a few people I went outside to sit with my friend Lyn under the shade of the gazebo. 
Several visitors were giving bowls a try for the first time. The members were helping them with guidance, and demonstrating techniques. It was all very relaxed and friendly. I have tried this before on a previous coffee morning, but I am not very good at getting the ball to go in the right direction. The pace is too slow for me. 
The W I ladies had a cake stand and people were raging about how delicious the coffee and walnut sponge was. Lyn's husband, Bob, made it last night. He is very talented in the kitchen. I bought two slices, it is in the fridge, I will eat it later. Sadly I didn't win a raffle prize. 
If anyone is thinking of going to the Watlington in Bloom event tomorrow, don't bother, it is cancelled . This is in Oxfordshire I believe. They have a facebook page and if anyone wants to read the comments, take a look at that. It made me chuckle. Basically the organisers are worried that if anyone falls and hurts themselves in the heat, the person would make a claim against them, which they can't afford to pay. It's very sad that people will be disappointed. 
Now I think it's time to eat a piece of that cake. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. Btw is WI ladies? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Women's Institute ladies are also members of other groups in the village.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.