Sunday 31 July 2022

Part 1 - Black Country Museum

Hello. Let's start this post with cup of coffee. 
I drove down to the West Midlands on Thursday night, arriving at about 9pm. The plan was to visit the Black Country Museum at Dudley, so by getting as close as I could the night before meant I would not be rushed in the morning. Traffic is lighter in the evening, to make the journey easier. The West Midlands has changed a lot since I was last there. Road layouts are all different to what I remember, new roads, new roundabouts, concentration is needed to avoid getting in the wrong lane. I don't have a sat nav, and make notes from a map which I can glance at to check road numbers and where the next turn is. I do have a sat nav on the car dashboard but don't use it as such. The map is on screen as a back up to the paper map. 
The Museum opens at 10am and people were arriving and queueing to get in. I was a bit early so followed them in when the queue had died down a bit.  
The first thing I saw when I walked out from the pay desk was this bus. They accept cash by the way, and I paid the £3.50 for the parking at the same time. It is a massive site and this bus runs up and down the length of it for visitors who are not so mobile, and those who want the experience of travelling in a vintage bus. 

It brought back memories. I used to drive one just like this. A few months after I got my HGV licence, I did some training and got a PSV licence as well. I did some work for a local bus company doing school runs, day trips, and shoppers buses. The chug chug chug of the engine brought it all back to me. No power steering, leaning forward, heave ho, putting all my weight onto the steering wheel as I pulled it round. 

First I had a look at the coal mine. Lots of interesting old relics to check out. 
Sheds and buildings to peer into, to get a flavour of how it used to be. It must have been a very hard life. 


This is the weighbridge where they bagged the coal up. 
There are several old tiny cottages to take a look at. They reminded me of the 1939 house which I wrote about somewhere on this blog. 
Every house had a range, for keeping the place warm, cooking, and drying clothes. 

Outside people kept pigs. Look at these two snoozing in the sunshine. Yes, they are real, with a very loud snore. 
Please join us and take tea in the parlour. 
They certainly looked very cosy. I quite fancy living in a small cottage myself. 
My Grandmother used to live in one, and the lavvy was just like this. A man in a small lorry came once in a while, to empty the bucket. I never did see how he did it because we were always told not to go down the garden while he was here. I remember getting splinters in my bum, and reading the newspaper squares hanging on the wall. If we wanted a pee in the night there was a piss pot under the bed. 
I'm going to break this visit into two or three posts, so if you come back later there will be more photo's from the Black Country Museum. 
Thanks for popping in. See ya later.  ilona

28 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I know the work was difficult, but I sometimes think life may have been less stressful. I suppose they had their stresses as well, but I just feel families were closer and worked together more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think living so close together like they did was more of a community spirit. They all had little gardens where they grew vegetables, they probably did swaps with each other.

      Delete
  2. thanks Ilona.I was thinking about this place the other day. Never been.Also Dudley Zoo, but that didn't have very good reviews. Look forward to seeing the rest of your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to see the castle but didn't see much of the zoo. Not really keen on zoo's. I feel sorry for the animals.

      Delete
  3. I remember visiting the museum when I was 13 (46 yrs ago). There was hardly anything there then. Railway lines and a few huts with windows to look through. We also visited the big old Iron Bridge. Part of our history trip.
    7 years ago we did a family trip to shropshire and revisited the museum. What a fantastic place it is now. And you know the funny ting, I was looking at dome of them photos today.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be worth going back in a years time to see the new buildings that they are in the process of putting up now. It will be even better.

      Delete
  4. Becky from Toronto31 July 2022 at 19:18

    What an interesting place. So glad you have returned to allow anyone to comment. Signing up with Google is problematic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be switching back and forth. It depends how fed up I get of deleting unwanted comments.

      Delete
    2. I can't sign in with Google either. When I click the link it just takes me to the start of the blog post. Same on other blogs too.
      Love the pics my granny had a toilet like that in her cottage. Sally

      Delete
  5. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there a few years ago. If you're ever near Cardiff St Fagan's Museum is similar. Free entry but you have to pay for parking. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really ought to make an effort and visit South Wales. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  6. My Grandma had a lavvy - think she called it "the lav"- It was flushing though and loo roll like tracing paper which I didn't like -A mangle in the yard too which I helped her push the heavy wet sheets through -She was a tiny lady but she must have been strong x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Izal toilet paper was awful. At least the newspaper was a bit absorbent, even if it did leave newsprint on your backside.

      Delete
    2. The smell of Izal 🤢

      Delete
    3. My gran used to call our outside toilet 'the closet'. When we eventually got a television (I was about six) I was bemused to learn that Americans kept their clothes in there! I remember wondering why they would keep their clothes in the toilet?

      Delete
  7. What an interesting post! Thanks so much for sharing your museum visit with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My aunt had a lav like that in south melbourne australia when I was a child in the fifties and sixties along with the newspaper. Someone Bought it after that and it would be sold for two million Australian dollars now
    Love your blog thanks for all your work your trips are most interesting have one to Australia and visit us I can only do 40 minute walks though🤣love Peter and Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these small cottages were the ultimate Tiny House. The smallest space you could live comfortably in. I think they could start building modern versions of these.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I Love these restored historical sites! There was one in upstate New York called Genesee Country Village that I used to visit regularly when I lived in the area. They had moved and restored buildings from before the Revolution to the Victorian era, and had docents there in full costume that could speak intelligently on life during the building's heyday. Made think twice about complaining about anything now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we don't have anything to complain of now.

      Delete
  10. Black Country Museum, needs to be revisited every few years as they are always sorting new buildings and additions. They also do 40's days and such like. I'm not to far away from it, so visit every so often to see something we missed last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the insider information. It will be fantastic once all the building has been done.

      Delete
  11. Great photos Ilona. I’ve never been to this museum but think I’d enjoy it and especially the boats. Is the 1939 house near you still as it was or did the new owners modernise it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new owners modernised it. They put a new wooden porch thing on the front. Looks odd.

      Delete
    2. That’s such a shame after all the work the previous owner did. I remember it coming up for sale and wishing I could buy it.

      Delete
  12. Love the pics of the little house. I was born in the late fifties, my mother wasn't married and my father, whoever he was, didn't stick around to meet me, quite shocking at the time so I was brought up by my grandparents, which I am eternally grateful for. I loved that little house I grew up in, it was my safe place, and your pics reminded me of it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your story. When I stayed with my grandparents for the whole summer holiday, I didn't want to go home to a dad who spent all of his spare time in the pub.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.