Saturday 10 September 2022

A look at Winterton

Good afternoon, it's Saturday, and it's a bit mizzzzly outside. Mizzly is damp and showery by the way. The cats are grateful for the shelter they have in the garden. Once they have eaten breakfast they retire to their chosen bolthole and will come out later when their tummies start rumbling. 
On Thursday I dropped the car at the garage for its annual service and went off for a walk. They couldn't give me a specific time when it would be ready, they ring me when it is finished. There are parts of Winterton which I haven't seen before. I don't need to go there apart from the occasional garage visit. So I went on an explore. Hmmm, I will have a look down this path. It turned out to be a lovely walk to the village of Roxby. A place where I have driven through but not stopped to look around. 
These little cottages have been tastefully renovated. All have a new roof. 

The village is on the edge of a main road, so I sat on a bench at a junction for a while and watched the traffic go by. A woman said hello to me, she said she hadn't seen me for ages, the last time being on the Asda Bus. I was puzzled, I said I haven't been on the Asda Bus. A case of mistaken identity I think.  
Next to the bench is this planter, looking a bit sad with dead plants. I see they won an award for the Best Kept Village in 1974. I think it would be a good idea if they repaired the rotten wood, made a new plaque, and filled it with fresh plants. 
The church at Roxby wasn't open so I couldn't look inside. 
I walked back to Winterton and could not resist the smell of freshly cooked chips. This chip shop is a favourite plaice, ha ha. No fish for me. I sat on a bench while I ate them and watched the world go by. I asked for a small portion, but there was too much to eat in one go. I microwaved the rest for my dinner when I got home. £3 to help a local business and to satisfy my craving for chips. 
Car still not ready so I continued my explore. I came across a tea room, The Old Barn. Didn't know that was there. I resisted the temptation to go in. After the chips I was full up. 
A cemetery is always an interesting place to look around. 
Next to it was Simons Wood. Let's go and have a look down here. Lovely little walk. 
Heading back towards the centre this floral arrangement caught my attention. 
Winterton used to be a village, now it is a town, and it is growing by the day. There are three new build housing estates taking place. There isn't sufficient infrastructure to support a lot of new residents. There is a good bus service through to Scunthorpe and Hull though, so people will have the option of using that to get their shopping in. 
Hundreds and thousands of bricks stacked up to fill this area with houses. 
Still no phone call from the garage, so I did a walk through video of the centre. 
Then it was time to go and collect the car. Thanks for popping in. Have a nice weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.