Friday 9 September 2022

Breakfast chat video

Good morning. I was going to put this out yesterday, but I was busy in the morning taking the car for a service and having a walk while they worked on it. I made a video and took photo's for that which I will put on tomorrow. Then when I got back the sad news came through and that stopped me in my tracks. So anyway, better late than never. 119 comments on yooootooob. 
On a similar money saving theme, I found this scrap of paper on the road after the bin lorry had been along to collect the rubbish. It shows someone's attempts at trying to work their finances out in a notebook. I always say write things down because it helps to focus on the job in hand. 
Predicting how much we are all going to have to pay is becoming a nightmare. I actually haven't done this for the gas and electricity, but I can see how important it is for families, because everyone in the household has a part to play in cutting down their usage. Everyone has to be onboard with it and make an effort. 

I am sticking with the three monthly bills in the post, because I find that way of budgeting the payments the simplest for me. Monthly direct debits are going to be very worrying for some people. I have read that a lot of people are going to cancel, and go back to a pay on the bill method. This will inevitably push people over into debt, because first they need to eat and pay rent or a mortgage. 
If you are in this group, speak to your utilities provider, don't just ignore the bills as they arrive. Often an arrangement can be made to pay off a smaller amount over a longer period of time. Contact a debt charity such as StepChange for advice. 
Keep your eye on Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert. He is working hard to push for a better deal from Ofgem.  
I wish you well in your endeavours to get through this very difficult time. Try to be pro-active not re-active.
Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon. Toodle pip.  ilona 

6 comments:

  1. I've found this info on the citizens advice website that if you use electric for medical equipment, then you cannot be put on a prepayment meter, hope it helps someone, https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-help-paying-your-bills/stop-your-energy-supplier-installing-a-prepayment-meter/

    ReplyDelete
  2. just realised the last comment about prepayment meters and the link on citizens advice was from me, it was showing as anonymous, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people today think in terms of more or big. They want 1 idea that will save loads of cash and then not have to worry about it anymore. And that’s just not the way it works as you so wisely stated. It’s doing lots of little things that add up over time. Everyone wants a quick fix. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ lol This is why I LOVE your blog and YouTube channel. Just look in this one post how many hints and tips of money saving you discussed. Do these things and learn of other things and the will start seeing the money savings grow. 😊😊 Keep talking mother we are listening!!!!! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tammy. You are right, there is no quick fix, as with the current situation. All we can do is go in the right direction. There is a distinct boundary between what will work and what won't. Staying on the right side of the line and proceeding forward inch by inch will bring favourable results. Falling back over that line will bring problems. I know which side I want to be.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.